Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi guys,
My birthday is coming up and I want to buy a Nvidia 9800gt, and an extra SATA HDD. At the moment, I have the PSU that came with my case (ThermalMaster 420W). No, not thermaltake, thermalmaster. Anyway, I have read up about 12V rails and everything, and my PSU has 16A on the all important 12V rail. My questions are:

a) Is this power supply enough? (My preliminary guess is no, but the head of IT seems to think that it's enough)
b) How can I tell if it has multiple rails?
A picture of my setup:

So, by looking, can anyone tell how many 12V rails it has?

Any help would be VERRRRY appreciated - the computer store I go to is ages away and I would be without a computer for about 2 weeks if the PSU was insufficient. And because my budget is so tight, if it isn't sufficient, I'll need to sacrifice the extra hard drive, or get a crappy video card :'-(

Oh BTW setup is E2200 (OCed to 2.6GHz on stock), 2GB 800MHz RAM, Asus P5N-MX, WD 7200RPM SATAII, Asus DVD writer, 3x120mm fans (you can't see the one on the side of the case in the pic).

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Lol. At last check, Tom's Hardware remains unblocked :sol: . They have standards - Hard Forum is blocked :lol: good on them.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Thanks for the reply!!! I can open up my PC and have a look right now, or I could always email the computer store which I bought it from - there's hardly any info on the web for ThermalMaster PSUs. By the way, my PSU doesn't have a 6 pin PCI-E connector. Is there a converter to convert a 4 pin molex to PCI-E 6 pin? And would it work just as well as the normal 6 pin?
Thanks SOOO much for the reply!

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

I'm no n00b at building computers - I always double check conections. Had a look at the link you posted. Only one problem - the fan faces upwards whereas the position for the PSU on my build is at the top! I could always turn it upside down...

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

The number of rails does not matter. The quality does, so don't buy Ultra. Antec Earthwatts or Truepower New, Corsair, and Seasonic are good PSU brands.

r_manic

Administrator

Haha! Will check it out later and see what you mean :p

Unlike you, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to building PCs... why would the rails for a PSU be important anyways?

The picture was a little blurry when magnified, but I thought I only saw one column for +12V, meaning a single rail. 16A won't be enough, especially when considering that your PSU appears to be a cheap one, so it could easily blow chunks if loaded to 13A on that rail. Cheap PSUs also don't like to die alone.
I second theAnimal's comments. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and I'll add PC Power & Cooling, are good. The BFG model that IH8U linked has also received excellent reviews. 430W-500W should be enough

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Sigh... guess I'm gonna have to forget about the extra hard drive.... :cry: You can always tell when it's a cheap PSU because the amperage on the 3v and 5v is sky high when you'd never need it - just to boost the wattage.
Sorry about the picture quality - it was cramped under my desk and I have unsteady hands (inherited from my Dad). I had a pic of better quality but my hairy legs were in the photo - and nobody wants to see them!! :lol: Yeah, I'll definitely go for a Corsair - does this look good:

http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/PSU-COVX550/Default.aspx
Prices in Australian dollars.

Thanks for all the help so far! You've been amazing!!

EDIT: Whoah, the 550W has sooo much 12V amps - REALLY future proofed (well, as future proofed as you can be with i7s replacing Core 2s :cry: ) I could add a LOT of stuff to my system with that Amperage.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Yup - I really shouldn't have spent heaps of money on getting case fans - now I have to stick with my cramped hard drive... Oh, and I like your quote - it's funny! :lol: (You are the bottleneck) - so true!

EDIT: Do you think it would be able to support two 9800gts in sli one day?

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Should be no problem.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Cool. Now I can brag about my super pricey PSU! I guess when my rig becomes obselete I would be able to use it in an i7 system probably. I'll be looking back on this purchase with pride one day - it will last a long time.
Thanks for all your help!!