Can you help me choose!!

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi All. :kaola: :kaola:
I'm not sure if this is a valid question but here goes :D

I am looking at a new PC build(ish) I've got a PCIe motherboard on order with 4Gb of DDR2 RAM but am now looking for the GPU & am note sure which of these would be better

Sapphire HD 3870 Ultimate Edition 512MB GDDR4 £112
or
Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 £117

or could you recommend any others, I am in the UK so am limited in the suppliers I can use.

Thanks in advance
NeilV

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Hi, I appreciate your speedy response but could you explain why the GDDR4 RAM doesn't give the 3870 the edge? I'm not very good on this and the last two GPU's I bought have not been good!

Cheers

NeilV

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
exactly, the 3870 architecture was at a different performance standard and generation, while the 4850 has a more improved, and more powerful architecture.

Look at the 4870 GDDR5, it doesn't beat out the 280 GTX which is still on the GDDR3 ram type. There are man factors that come into play, such as buswidth, and core power.

A+ 4850:)

AT LAST! A REAL UK POSTER ON THIS UK FORUM;)

The 4850 is the better choice but look carefully at which cooler is installed, those that do n`t exhaust outside of the case can cause heating issues if you have a case that has poor or limited airflow.

Take a look at PC Mart (the magazine) it`s stuffed full of cheap PC goodness;)

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks all for your posts. :D :D and your elaborations, I was a bit dubious on a snap decision because looking at bench tests for various games it seems that sometime different cards perform better with different configurations. i.e. High resolution requires more RAM whereas using High AA and detail stresses the processor more. So just to clarify, I like to play games like Oblivion, Fallout3, Diablo 3 (when it comes out!!), Witcher, World in Conflict, Neverwinter Nights 2. I only play them @ 1440 or occasionally 1600 but I like to play them with AA & AF as high as possible.

If what you have said still holds then I will be buying the card today unless someone wants to change their opinion given the uses I will be putting it to. Oh and BTW in don't want to output sound through HDMI, I will be looking for a DVI-D connector to my monitor.

Thanks again folks and if you know of any bargains PLEASE let me know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NeilV

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
4850, played all the above games save NWN and D3 ofc fine at 1600 on high.
3870 isnt even in the same league.

Incidentally i picked my card from ebay for £90 last September :lol:

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Thanks Pr2thej,
Now that's what I call specific advise. :D :D :D
I assume NWN2 would depend a lot on the CPU :??: :??:

You were a lucky man to get it for £90, I notice a lot of PC bits had gone up in price in the UK recently.

Sorry, but off topic. Anybody know if a MOBO with 3 USB Headers & 4 Sockets onboard would use some of the Headers for the rear sockets or would I be able to connect 6 Extra USB's on the front of my case in addition to the 4 on the back. I know it's off topic. :non: :non: :non:

Thanks Again.

NeilV

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
The rear USB sockets are intergrated into the I/O, they do not require additional connections. The headers are specifically for your case USB's, grouped along with power, reset, sound etc.

No idea on NWN2 im too scared to try it. I get addicted to those sorta games way too easily.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

I know the feeling, I must have downloaded 100 extra modules for NWN1 (shame most of them were bugged :pfff: :pfff: :pfff: !). Ive just had to roll back my Fallout 3 game saves cos after I finished the Main quest the game ends & I had loads of side quests still outstanding. Doh! :lol: :lol:

I can't wait for Fable 2 to come out on PC or Diablo 3. Then my life won't be my own again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your help!!

NeilV

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Well on a side note have a look at Titan Quest: Immortal Throne on Steam.
Heres my review:

"Its Diablo"

Should tide you over till Fable 2 gets coded.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I just checked out the trailer. Good Call. :D :D :D

I was still playing Diablo 2 until I upgraded to a 22" monitor now it looks like Lego D&D. :lol: :lol:

I am playing Witcher at the moment but you can't carry very many weapons a once with that game, it does use the same view as Diablo though!

Thanks for your help, I'm buying a new case as well so I wasn't sure whether it was worth buying one with 4 USB's on the front, but you have come to my aid so now I can order it!!

Cheers

NeilV

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Make sure it has good airflow.
A slight disclaimer on the 4850 is that it runs hot with stock cooling from certain manufacturers eg Powercolor.
Its solved by having a half decent case like an Antec Three Hundred or aftermarket cooling like a Neo Vortexx and some AS5.
The aftermarket cooler is particularly essential should you look to OC your card.