SLI GTX280

chris89861

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
And so it begins... I've got the EVGAx58 / intel I7 920 setup with 3GB DDR3 1600 RAM, BFG GTX280s running in SLI and Vista 64 Ultimate. I primarily use this system for WOW but was also planning on using it to encode digital media to my home media center. My issue is, when I run WOW I'm having some strange issues and I can't pull more than 60 fps, this rig should smash that game into little pieces. When I run 3dMark06 on the CPU test I'm bottoming out getting 1-2 FPS on the framerates.When running the tests with both cards enabled in SLI or the one disabled running single card mode I'm only seeing marginal improvement. I've already checked for the latest BIOS and drivers for every component I could find them for. BFG told me to unplug one of the cards and just work like that but thats a lot of money wasted. Any ideas?

IronValoR

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Have you tried overclocking the 920? maybe get it up to speed around 3.2ghz you may see some resources freeing up. also make sure that nothing , i mean nothing is running in the background. goto>start type in" MSCONFIG" goto> start up tab , disable everything that is not needed.. try that and see if you get any improvements.... other than that .. 60ps is not to to bad ... its more or less a software issue.

hope this helps,
later,

IronValor

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Ok for the WoW issue disable V-sync. That is whats locking you down to 60 fps or lower. It is trying to keep your FPS synced with your monitors refresh rate. This option can make wow look really great especially with triple buffering enabled, but WoW has many areas where it will always hit major slowdowns (dalran, IF, etc...) where top of the line cards will never be able to keep the 60 fps synced up especially if triple buffering is enabled. Uncheck the box let me know if that fixes it.

as for 3dmark06 cpu tests *shrug* kinda wierd. Have you downloaded 3dmark vantage? if not try it out let us know if your sli system isn't standing up to the other i7 dual 280 systems.