jarjarbins

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hello,
how do I re-install xp service pack 2 onto my laptop when I have had to reboot it due to it having a trojan. my laptop was pre-installed with xp sp2, and never came with a disc, so is there any way other than buying another disc to re-install xp?

Whoa now... If you have a sore toe, would you want the doctor to amputate your whole leg??

Your cure for a trojan is a bit much. There are ways of dealing with trojans and viruses without killing Windows.

Start by reading everything you see after clicking
HERE and come back with more information about the problems your computer is experiencing.

Reboot is not what you wanted to do. Re-install or re-image. Reboot is just turning the computer on and off.

jarjarbins

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
sorry my error in computer terminology, I reset to factory settings. now what im attempting to find out is just how to get windows xp service pack 2 back on my laptop. after reading the comment above, I dont think my laptop did have a trojan or virus, as I ran malware bytes and had upto date anti virus package. Im just trying to get xp back without having to fork out for a disc and product key, which im sure must be possible???

jarjarbins

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
yeh maybe it was a tad severe, but I just went off the advice of a friend, who is obviously no computer technician, and has left me with the mess to sort out :(

I did however have malware bytes and avg installed beforehand and still no joy, the computer was running so slow and locking up all the time, in fact you simply could not use it.

so decided to reset to factory settings and start afresh.

now I need to install xp but as it came pre-installed ????? I have no idea how to do this, and as its a fairly old laptop, dont really want to spend anything on it, if I can avoid it :lol:

jarjarbins

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
it never ever came with a disc, it was pre-installed on the laptop, and when my friend has reset it to factory settings everything has been wiped off including xp, as the laptop is pretty old and no longer under warranty etc, I dont know if I would be entitled to acer sending out a disc as it was a pre-installed laptop anyway???

As long as they have a copy to send they will do it. Will cost a bit though, I think the normal charge for a restore disk is $20-30. Resetting the laptop to factory settings should not wipe the drive, it should re-install Windows as it came when new. Your friend probably formatted the disk.

If they don't have a disk for your model, there are companies that sell older restore disks that you can use with the Windows key on your laptop.

marbski

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
what is the brand of your laptop? some laptop has it's own recovery disc try to used it's recovery disc... hope it works....

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Most acer laptops have a recovery partition. Turn on the computer and pres ALT and F10 at the same time. This should launch the acer recovery manager. This is assuming, of course, that you or your friend did not format the entire hard drive. If you did, then you need to contact Acer for a recovery disc or find an OEM online somewhere.