Sign in with
Your question

IDE drives startup problem

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2009 5:41:56 PM

New set up with the GA-MA790-X-UD4P board. On the IDE side, I have the DVD-R/W in the boot path. When I hook up an IDE hard drive, neither are recognized. HDD alone and it is recognized. What could I be missing? A jumper issue? (The HDD doesn't have one, but I can't see the DVD jumper setting offhand without powering down.) Thanks.
a c 229 V Motherboard
June 5, 2009 8:08:13 PM

You have 2 options:

1. Set one device to primary and the other one to secondary;
2. Set both devices as cable select. The device on the middle connector will be secondary and the one on the end connector will be primary.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2009 9:16:20 PM

Here's an IDE cable:
M|----------|------|D
M1---------2-----3D
The 'M' end is the motherboard connector; the 'D' end goes to the drives.
There are two kinds of cables: 'standard' (on which the drives are jumpered to identify them), and 'cable select' (on which the cable itself sorts out the drive IDs).
If there are no labels (often, a large plastic or fabric 'pull-tab') saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you likely have a 'standard' cable - jumper as follows:
it doesnt matter what connector goes to what; your primary (boot) HDD will need to be jumpered as 'master' [MSTR] on the drive; your secondary (or ODD) gets jumpered as 'slave' [SLV] on the drive.
If there are labels saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you have a 'cable select' cable - jumper as follows:
Both drives get jumpered as [CSEL] on the drive; your primary (boot), or only, in the case of just one, goes on connector 3, which should be labeled 'master'; your secondary (or ODD) goes on connector 2, which should be labeled 'slave'; connector 1 goes to your MOBO IDE port...

Now, boot, do a <DEL> to get into the BIOS, and go to the 'Integrated Peripherals' page - set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Device' to 'Enabled'; set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to 'IDE'; go to the 'Advanced BIOS Features' page, select 'Hard Disk Boot Priority', and hit <ENTER>; select your boot drive from the list; set 'First Boot Device' to 'CDROM', 'Second Boot Device' to 'Hard Disk', and you should be good to go...
Related resources
June 5, 2009 9:30:50 PM

bilbat said:
Here's an IDE cable:
M|----------|------|D
M1---------2-----3D
The 'M' end is the motherboard connector; the 'D' end goes to the drives.
There are two kinds of cables: 'standard' (on which the drives are jumpered to identify them), and 'cable select' (on which the cable itself sorts out the drive IDs).
If there are no labels (often, a large plastic or fabric 'pull-tab') saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you likely have a 'standard' cable - jumper as follows:
it doesnt matter what connector goes to what; your primary (boot) HDD will need to be jumpered as 'master' [MSTR] on the drive; your secondary (or ODD) gets jumpered as 'slave' [SLV] on the drive.
If there are labels saying 'master' and 'slave' on connectors 2 and 3, you have a 'cable select' cable - jumper as follows:
Both drives get jumpered as [CSEL] on the drive; your primary (boot), or only, in the case of just one, goes on connector 3, which should be labeled 'master'; your secondary (or ODD) goes on connector 2, which should be labeled 'slave'; connector 1 goes to your MOBO IDE port...

Now, boot, do a <DEL> to get into the BIOS, and go to the 'Integrated Peripherals' page - set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Device' to 'Enabled'; set 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to 'IDE'; go to the 'Advanced BIOS Features' page, select 'Hard Disk Boot Priority', and hit <ENTER>; select your boot drive from the list; set 'First Boot Device' to 'CDROM', 'Second Boot Device' to 'Hard Disk', and you should be good to go...

Thanks, but I think you've misunderstood a bit. Neither of these are Windows system boot drives, except the DVD in a pinch; the HDD is just for getting some files off now and backup later. I just want to be able to get two IDE devices to be recognized and was only getting one to work at a time, with two not at all. As both you suggest, it sounds like a jumper issue. Does it matter which is master and which is slave, given the set up I'm suggesting? (XP is starting off a SATA drive.) Thanks.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2009 9:43:53 PM

I've always set the HDD as 'master', and the ODD as 'slave', but I think it's probably just a 'grandma always did it that way' thing - I've probably got underwear that's been a dust rag longer than you've been alive. Way back when, it was the only way they'd work; now, I don't think it really matters. What does matter is - if your cable is 'cable select', your drives both have to be jumpered as 'CS', and if it's a standard cable, one must be jumpered to 'SL' and the other to 'MA'...
June 5, 2009 10:01:43 PM

bilbat said:
I've always set the HDD as 'master', and the ODD as 'slave', but I think it's probably just a 'grandma always did it that way' thing - I've probably got underwear that's been a dust rag longer than you've been alive. Way back when, it was the only way they'd work; now, I don't think it really matters. What does matter is - if your cable is 'cable select', your drives both have to be jumpered as 'CS', and if it's a standard cable, one must be jumpered to 'SL' and the other to 'MA'...

Thanks, I'll try one or the other. Either you're as much a collector of cloth as my mother was with newspapers, or you don't turn over underware very often. ;-) I'm old enough for Gene Barry's War of the Worlds to have been my first visit to the movie theater.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2009 10:53:37 PM

Haw haw! And aren't the recent pair a couple of crappers? The first one I recall clearly was "The Time Machine" - at a drive-in (try to find one of those now!), where my Mom covered my eyes when he 'fast-forwards', and the Mollochs decay around him - guess she thought rotting eyeballs dropping out might be traumatizing...
June 5, 2009 11:07:17 PM

bilbat said:
Haw haw! And aren't the recent pair a couple of crappers? The first one I recall clearly was "The Time Machine" - at a drive-in (try to find one of those now!), where my Mom covered my eyes when he 'fast-forwards', and the Mollochs decay around him - guess she thought rotting eyeballs dropping out might be traumatizing...

Oh, you're a young un'; the film version of The Time Machine came out in 1960. Thanks for your help.
February 18, 2010 8:42:58 PM

Not all IDE HDD are done the same. Western Digitals as a stand alone drive does not require any jumpers. Only when being used in tandem. Check ur drive specs.
!