Really need some help understanding temps

cheezeman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hello all -

I have some questions about my recent build regarding CPU temps and could use some help. The build is:

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe motherboard
4GB (2x2) OCZ Gold memory
Nvidia 250 GTS 1GB x2 in SLI
Win7 64-bit
etc...

This is my first build in a while so first thing I do is load up a temp monitoring program (using RealTemp after some light research/recommendations) to check out my temperatures. I'm struggling though to understand how to interpret what I'm seeing, specifically around the calibration and max temps. Here's a screencap (click for larger version):

coldtemps.jpg

OK so reading the RealTemp website calibration portion, it says to leave the CPU settings at default (for the new i5/i7s because of the auto-throttling) and that the temps I should be seeing should be about 8* C above what my room temperature is. However as you can see in the screencap, the minimum temperatures is 21* C - which is 70* F. Now, I don't have a way to take my room temp, and it was pretty cool in the room the day, but let's say at coldest it was maybe 68* F (or 20* C) room temperature. So do I need to go enter a +8/+9 into RealTemp or are the new CPUs really putting off that little heat at idle? edit: I should also add that the BIOS was reporting about 22* C, but I'm not sure if the CPU throttling is enabled at that point or not (i.e. it might be running hotter in the BIOS simply due to clock speed differences between throttled and not-throttled because that hasn't been enabled yet, or if that is a more accurate value than RealTemp).

The second part of the calibration involves the sensor cool down test, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there... :lol: I take it the test is supposed to tell you how to further calibrate the sensors so they are normalized against each other, but I don't really understand how to interpret these results..? A little help?

Now, after that is all addressed and I know I have accurate temp readings, my final question is what is the real max temp for the i5 as displayed in RealTemp? I know Intel lists Tcase as 74* C, but RealTemp shows Tjunction (at 100* C!!), and I don't really know which I'm supposed to be adhering too.

I had the CPU overclocked (briefly just to see what I could do) to 3.6GHz with 1.85v and the temps were at ~65* C full load, ~40* C idle but now I'm worried that the calibration may be way off (as mentioned above) and I have exceeded the Tcase... but does that matter?

So in short I need help understanding how to calibrate RealTemp, and then what is the max temp (Tjunction as displayed in RealTemp) for the Core i5 750?

I appreciate any help!

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I know nothing about Realtemp, its not even compatible with my processor, but I will tell you to adhere to Intel's temps. If they say "don't go above 75" then that's your number, regardless of what Realtemp says.

Maybe try coretemp or speedfan to compare (both awesome), but from the looks of things those are reasonable temps, the i5 750 runs pretty cool and supposedly is safe up into the 70s (celcius).

Sorry I'm no help with Realtemp though...

cheezeman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
That's OK, thanks anyways. I'll give those other two programs a go, that's a good idea to compare between them.

I know I would not want to exceed Intel's claim of 74*C, but they are giving that temp in Tcase, whereas RealTemp displays Tjunction (whatever those are), wasn't sure if there was a difference between them.

Thanks again. Still interested in anyone else's input too...