I have a little money to burn...

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hey folks, first time poster here. I just wanted to get a few opinions..

I have about $200 that's taking up too much room in my wallet, and I'm planning on upgrading - I just don't know which component to upgrade. My current setup is as follows:

Asus Crosshair 590a mobo
AMD 6000 3.0 dual-core
4gb GSkill 6400
Tagan 700w ps
GTX 260 core 216
Vista 32

My primary use for this rig is gaming. Now, the question is should I buy a 780a board, sli the 260, or go quad-core? I'm assuming that sli-ing the 260 would push my power supply pretty hard, and that the phenom wouldn't have much of an impact, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Tough call for $200

Your video card is close to top tier.
Your CPU is close to top of the line for AMD dual core.

Are you thinking Phenom2 quad core?
If not then I wouldn't bother with with Phenom because, yes yur right, it wont have much of an impact.

For $200 this is what I would do (keep in mind that if I have that much for an upgrade then I am going do the best I can for the money, because the next time I upgrade may be a year away)

Get a Socket 775 motherboard and a E7300 CPU (mild overclock and yur set).

That's my simple recommendation. You can get both for almost exactly $200.

If you looked for a minute you could probably find an SLI motherboard and skimp down to an E5200, overclock it to 3ghz (which they commonly do with no change in voltage).

This upgrade puts you in line for a much better quad core later on if quads start have a more positive impact on gaming. Both of those CPUs can VERY easily overclock to 3ghz and will be faster than your AMD.

Current Phenom2 CPUs are not faster than current Intel socket 775 quad cores. With a new Intel socket out the older quad cores should drop in price when you are ready to upgrade.

That's my reasoning, take it however you wish. I am not a fanboy of any type. Just a fan of maximizing my dollar.

sold1erjjt

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
If your looking to upgrade for $200. i would grab another Graphics card for improved stability during games. You should have enough power to run it depending on if you overclocked or not, but you should be fine. I myself am just waiting to build a core i7... drool

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Yeah, I suppose I should just save it as I am currently pretty happy with what I have, including my monitor, which is the Acer 26" P243W. Another 260 sounds pretty sweet though... Perhaps I'll wait until the newer cards push the price down.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If you want a quad for that Crosshair MB keep in mind that the Phenom 9850 and Phenom 9950 125W are supported (with BIOS updates), while the Phenom 9950 Black Edition 140W and the Phenom II are not supported (not yet, at least).

Or you could watch DVDs on a monitor and surf on the other. Works great for me :)

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Yeah, I hadn't thought about the 140 watt support for the Phenom II's. I think I'm going to stay away from the Phenoms... I just don't see any real advantage for my uses. As far as a second monitor, I'd have to get a bigger desk as well! Besides, I don't think I'd use it that much.

I think I'll wait a bit for the GTX 295 and i7 to push the price of the older stuff down and eventually go intel quad and sli my 260. I think I'd be set then...

For a while, at least.

akandy

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Buy another video card. If your going to save up for all that other stuff get another card first, then save for the rest.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
gtx 200 series really eat up the amperage. That's why you need a higher wattage psu. (quality is always better than quanity when it comes to a psu however!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'd vote to save up and go with the i7 build in the future.

Duel monitors does increase productivity a **** ton however. Don't know why, but it just does.

I have a TV tuner card, and watch TV and surf during the commercials. Really, the second monitor was one of the best additions, ever.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I know my psu would probably be borderline, but it's rated at 56 amps on the 12v rail. I don't do any overclocking, and only have one hard drive. I can't help but think that nvidia bumps up the power on their list just to be safe. But, I may just be making things up.

I can't deduce a clear answer from anything I've read - some people say it can be done just fine, some say it isn't safe. Though, if I do end up getting a better board with a intel quad, I highly doubt my psu would cut it for sli 260s.

Your psu is a decent quality, and it has a 6 pin and a 6/8 pin connector. Each GTX260 needs only one 6 pin connector.
A quality psu will be able to deliver full load to each of the pci-e connectors, and enough more for the rest of the system. (which takes very little) You have no worries about the PSU if you want to power a pair of GTX260 cards in sli.

My mistake, the GTX260 needs TWO pcie-6 pin connectors.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

A 260 can run with only one 6 pin connector? I hadn't tried. So why are there spots for two connections?

Excellent question. I tried to figure out the answer but couldn't.

I found something else though, which is good news for you IMO:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/4

Recommended Power Supply

So here's my power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 260 | 280

* A GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 38 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.
* A GeForce GTX 280 requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.

GeForce GTX 260 | 280 SLI

* A second GeForce GTX 260 requires you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 50 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.
* A second GeForce GTX 280 requires you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 55 Amps available on the 12 volts rails.
* 3-way SLI ... well check our article on Wednesday please.

There are many good PSU's out there, please do have a look at our many PSU reviews as we have loads of recommended PSU's for you to check out in there. What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load?:

* bad 3D performance
* crashing games
* spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
* freezes during gameplay
* PSU overload can cause it to break down

Your PSU with 56A is above their recommended 50A.