Sign in with
Your question

Very slow DVD/CD RW drive

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 17, 2010 8:52:36 AM

It takes literally a couple of minutes for the drive to recognize I have a disc in there, and for the disc's icon to appear on the drive in 'My Computer'.
During the time I put the disc in and it shows up on the computer, the drive will make loud reading sounds and lag up the whole computer - the green light of the drive also lights up at the front.

Under device manager, it says I have these installed:
elby clonedrive scsi cdrom device
lite-on dvdrw lh-20a1p ata device

even though it is one single dvd/cd drive.

I have the dvd/cd drive connected by ide cable with my hd, and a 2nd hd connected with a sata adapter.
What could be the problem?

More about : slow dvd drive

July 17, 2010 6:26:56 PM

Junk the ide drives, or atleast make the HDD the master.
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 12:38:33 AM

What's your CPU?

There's really no speed difference between IDE and SATA optical drives, as the read speeds don't saturate either cables' speed.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 1:24:42 AM

I'm running a dual core intel with a 512 hd gddr3, so I'm thinking the specs shouldn't be a problem.
Will confirm in bios, but I believe the OS HDD is currently master.
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 1:35:33 AM

There are many dual core intels. Which model? 512 what? MB of RAM? What OS are you running?
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 6:00:16 AM

The lens inside your drive may be getting weak.. Time for a new drive i guess..
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 6:20:44 AM

The laser usually either reads the disc or it doesn't. It still recognizes the disc, it just takes a while. That's why I'm wondering what the rest of the hardware is. If it's 512mb of RAM, and a low end CPU, that's for sure the reason.
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 7:58:27 AM

Well i had a dvd writer at the time i had a single core CPU and 512 MB of RAM (DDR BTW).. I am still using that drive with my upgraded rig comprising of a C2D and 4 gigs of RAM (DDR2) and haven't noticed any performance difference.. IMO if there is problem reading or seeking the disc then its a problem with either the drive or the media and in very rare case, a virus or OS/software issue causing the drive to under perform..
!