Sign in with
Your question

DVD RAM Drive does not reads most disks

Last response: in Storage
July 17, 2010 9:46:11 AM

Hi

I have DELL VOSTRO 1320 laptop with DVD RAM DRIVE TSSTCorp TS-L633B installed, It is 1 year old and was working perfectly 2 days ago. and now that I has suddenly stopped working

OS - WINDOWS XP

NO hardware/ SW/ firmware change has been done.

It does not reads following types of disk

1. Original MOvie dvds
2. Burnt Data DVDs
3. Burnt Data CDs
4. CD/DVD lens cleaner Disk

But some how i dont know how is it able to read a disk I got from Nokia containing PC suite.
Its orinignal from nokia.

I have tested these disk. they run properly on other computers

Can any one help me fixing that

I have cleaned the lens
check device manager in my OS - WINDOWS XP
a b G Storage
July 17, 2010 2:23:35 PM

Did you try reinstalling your firmware? XP by default does not have DVD player software, you have to install a third party device. What have you installed, unistalled recently as far as software that could have screwed up your player software?
m
l
July 17, 2010 2:34:50 PM

jitpublisher said:
Did you try reinstalling your firmware? XP by default does not have DVD player software, you have to install a third party device. What have you installed, unistalled recently as far as software that could have screwed up your player software?

how to reinstall the firmware?

can u guide me.

thanks in advance.

just now i tested it is playing audio cds but no dvd is playing still
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 4:51:51 PM

Hey, I downloaded the firmware from dell website and upgraded the firmware with the latest version.

After this the problem still persists..

Can not play any dvd at all.
can not play any burnt cd also.

can play some original factory suppplied cds - like nokia's pc suite cd,
can also play a lens cleaning cd (philips)

any idea now?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 12:50:17 AM

It sounds like the drive is failing.
m
l
July 18, 2010 9:27:30 AM

aford10 said:
It sounds like the drive is failing.

Hey, just for the sake of technical knowledge... can any one tell me what makes the drive go fail...
and how is it able to read some cd and some not. It clearly means that the physical lens condition may be working as it is able to read. so it might be some sw/firmware problem..

Does the Drive has different mechanisms to read cd and dvds? Well It definitely be having some differences of reading diff Disk formats like UDF data/ raw data..etc

Any knowledge contribution is welcome

Thanks

M Kay
m
l
July 18, 2010 6:41:37 PM

Well if it happened 2 days ago do a system restore to 3 or 4 days ago, if it is software issue it will be fixed, if not the drive died.
m
l
!