EDIMAX EW-7128G with 64 Bit Vista??

bozosayshi

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Setting up my new computer tryin to get on the internet... I have the EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI card and the drivers don't work. Are there some drivers somewhere that make this card be able to be used on 64 bit Vista? Thanks..

bozosayshi

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Ok got a couple of questions I hope someone can help me.

1 - Those drivers made my computer start freezing. If I sat on the desktop it would freeze in about 2 or 3 minutes, but going on the internet would freeze it instantly. Once I uninstalled the driver however it stopped freezing. Is there a way to fix that, or different drivers or something?

2 - Is there ANY PCI card that will WORK with Vista 64? Please show it to me.

3 - Is there ANY USB card that will WORK with Vista 64? Please show it to me.

Thank you...

I don't know if it can be fixed. Before installing the Ralink OEM Drivers, did you uninstall the Edimax drivers?

Go to newegg.com (or any other store) and you'll find several adapters that meet your requirements, but reading reviews can also be very helpful. The one that you have is well rated and it should work fine when using a supported OS.

uwstonedprophet

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
which driver did you use? i'm trying this but it's not working... is there an order to how you uninstalled the old drivers/installed the new ones?

flutup

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
it works on windows 7 x64 RC. get the latest drivers (2.1.2.0) from edimax. i prefer not to have unuseful 3rd party appz, so i installed the downloaded driver+tool pack, then used driverbackup2 to backup the driver only, uninstalled the driver+tool, then updated the wifi driver via device manager from the backup i made.

and now everything is clean and working.

flutup

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
ok there's one simple trick i haven't mentioned: after driver only install, windows 7 will disable the driver after reboot (RC) or right after install (RTM). so after you installed the driver, you have to reboot, and right before windows boots, press F8, so that you get access to the windows boot menu. then select to disable driver signing enforcement, log in, and run windows update. then it will install signed drivers for 7128g, reboot again normally, and everything's set.

tinrib

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

I downloaded the 2.1.2.0 vista driver from edimax (there is no win 7 driver listed) but when i try to run the file in win 7 all that happens is i get the "do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer etc etc" click yes. Then nothing happens.. any ideas whats going on?

Advice would be appreciated

Sticklizard

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The Edimax site now has a Windows 7 driver listed. I had just built a new PC with Win7 (64) and had one of these cards laying around. I installed the driver only (no utility) and the card worked immediately (didn't even require a reboot).