Sign in with
Your question

Game Causes CPU to run at 100%, please help

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2009 11:00:04 PM

Hi, I recently bought a Gateway P7805u Fx Laptop. I can run most games fairly well at high settings, but when I run The Last Remnant, the CPU runs at 100 percent without backing down. I tried reducing the settings on the game and the resolution and detail level in which I set it at does not change things. I even reduced the game to windowed mode at 600x800 with no results. The game runs fine and looks great, I'm just worried that I might mess up my computer if I play it at any length of time. The fan runs at full blast while the game is running and the PC is definitely running hot.

Here are the specs to my computer/the specs for the game:

Gateway Laptop
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz
4gb DDR3 ram
GeForce 9800m gts
Windows Vista 64 bit

The last Remnant requirements

Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, graphic card 512 MB (GeForce 8800 or better), 15 GB HDD, Windows XP SP2/Vista SP1.

Is it okay for my CPU to run at 100 percent for an extended period? Should I get a Laptop Cooler? Maybe upgrade the CPU?

Anyway, thanks for reading! Any help is appreciated.

More about : game cpu run 100

a c 126 à CPUs
April 14, 2009 2:06:31 AM

Get a cooler. Even without gaming laptops are notorious for getting too hot too fast and overheating. Its a precautionary step anyone would be wise to make.
April 14, 2009 5:12:34 AM

Skogar said:
Hi, I recently bought a Gateway P7805u Fx Laptop. I can run most games fairly well at high settings, but when I run The Last Remnant, the CPU runs at 100 percent without backing down. I tried reducing the settings on the game and the resolution and detail level in which I set it at does not change things. I even reduced the game to windowed mode at 600x800 with no results. The game runs fine and looks great, I'm just worried that I might mess up my computer if I play it at any length of time. The fan runs at full blast while the game is running and the PC is definitely running hot.

Here are the specs to my computer/the specs for the game:

Gateway Laptop
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz
4gb DDR3 ram
GeForce 9800m gts
Windows Vista 64 bit

The last Remnant requirements

Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, graphic card 512 MB (GeForce 8800 or better), 15 GB HDD, Windows XP SP2/Vista SP1.

Is it okay for my CPU to run at 100 percent for an extended period? Should I get a Laptop Cooler? Maybe upgrade the CPU?

Anyway, thanks for reading! Any help is appreciated.

Upgrade the CPU? I thought you were having overheating problems? That should be the last thing you'd do.
Anyway, it's probably OK, just make sure that none of the fans are blocked. It should be fine. Maybe download a program like SpeedFan or the like to keep an eye on the temps. For a laptop, I'd say you're fine as long as your temp doesn't exceed 50C.

EDIT: Did I just say that you'd be fine THREE TIMES in that post? I need to work on how I write my replies. :p 
Related resources
April 23, 2009 7:34:23 AM

This is what was causing mine to--

The game has unlimited frame per second set by default.

Go to your options in your menu inside of the game and set the frame rate to limit to 30 or 60 frames per second. 60 is pretty seemless actually.

I can't tell much of a difference after I changed this setting but it took my CPU down to 65% and my video card was previously running at 90 degrees C. Now only 70.

*shrugs*
April 24, 2009 12:32:11 AM

Wow, I didn't even think of this... this really solves my problems across the board. Thanks!
!