Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asus HD5850 Tweaking

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 9, 2010 6:42:37 AM

I have had my Asus 5850 for 2 weeks now and feel like overclocking
it little, but i dont tend to play with the voltage's
i just want to tweak it from 725 to about 780. do i need to adjust the fan
Manually to set it higher?

More about : asus hd5850 tweaking

July 9, 2010 10:09:18 AM

what would be the the Highest clocks for the 5850 without touching voltage?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2010 3:00:56 PM

I would say in alot of cases, you can hit 850 without voltage tweak and perhaps 1100 memory if overclocking you WILL want to up the fan speed. I would start using the CCC tweaker first and see what results you get.

I had the ASUS 5870 and never used the ASUS tweaker tool, i just used CCC and got it to 975/1300 with no tweaks but i did have to up the fan from 40% to 66% to keep temps cool...
Share
Related resources
a c 124 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 9, 2010 5:39:37 PM

Without voltage changes I can get my 5850s as high as 875/1200. Pretty common to get around 850/1150. I've found 1200 mem is my limit but some people report going as high as 1250 or 1300. Basically, a 5850 is an underbinned 5870 so the memory can't quite handle the 5870 speeds unless you're very lucky and got a 'threshold' binned memory. On the core side of things, again it's the same chip but it's had 2 units cut out so it's a little less powerful, and then it's also underclocked.

Anyway, I recommend getting MSI Afterburner for OCing. It lets you set fan profiles which is an awesome feature. Run FurMark to test the OC for stability and temps. If the temps are getting too high, just make a fan profile to accomodate. IMO for a non voltage increased OC your temps should be at most 70C.
m
0
l
July 9, 2010 8:40:52 PM

Another data point for you: I've been running my 5850 at 850/1150 using MSI Afterburner for a long time now, with no voltage adjustments and without flashing the firmware. As Wolfram23 mentions, you'll want to set a fan profile which will keep the GPU cool under these conditions. I've got my fan profile set to go from 25% to 50% as the temperature rises from 50C to 70C, and then up to 80% at 80C, and I've kept the GPU temp under 70C while playing BF:BC2 on Eyefinity with settings jacked up.
m
0
l
July 12, 2010 7:29:22 AM

jonpaul37 said:
I would say in alot of cases, you can hit 850 without voltage tweak and perhaps 1100 memory if overclocking you WILL want to up the fan speed. I would start using the CCC tweaker first and see what results you get.

I had the ASUS 5870 and never used the ASUS tweaker tool, i just used CCC and got it to 975/1300 with no tweaks but i did have to up the fan from 40% to 66% to keep temps cool...


Ok cool i will see if i can get 850 core and 1100 for mem on CCC, oh what should i set the fan speed too?
m
0
l
July 12, 2010 7:34:32 AM

wolfram23 said:
Without voltage changes I can get my 5850s as high as 875/1200. Pretty common to get around 850/1150. I've found 1200 mem is my limit but some people report going as high as 1250 or 1300. Basically, a 5850 is an underbinned 5870 so the memory can't quite handle the 5870 speeds unless you're very lucky and got a 'threshold' binned memory. On the core side of things, again it's the same chip but it's had 2 units cut out so it's a little less powerful, and then it's also underclocked.

Anyway, I recommend getting MSI Afterburner for OCing. It lets you set fan profiles which is an awesome feature. Run FurMark to test the OC for stability and temps. If the temps are getting too high, just make a fan profile to accomodate. IMO for a non voltage increased OC your temps should be at most 70C.


Yeah msi Afterburner is great but im afraid to use it
Cause i had a gts250 and when i set the fan profile
after the following day i was installing bioshock 2 and
my pc died on me so i find out that gts250 fan stopped
running and fried and there was no safety shut down what so ever!
m
0
l
July 12, 2010 8:38:07 AM

AtomicPlayboyX said:
Another data point for you: I've been running my 5850 at 850/1150 using MSI Afterburner for a long time now, with no voltage adjustments and without flashing the firmware. As Wolfram23 mentions, you'll want to set a fan profile which will keep the GPU cool under these conditions. I've got my fan profile set to go from 25% to 50% as the temperature rises from 50C to 70C, and then up to 80% at 80C, and I've kept the GPU temp under 70C while playing BF:BC2 on Eyefinity with settings jacked up.


if i was to use Afterburner what is the latest release version

Best to download?
m
0
l
July 12, 2010 12:50:45 PM

Best answer selected by emmerichem.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 3:13:58 PM

Fan speed is different in all cases, just mess around with it until you get comfortable noise-levels/temps, its all preference. Some people hate the extra noise, some people hate high temps...
m
0
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 3:19:46 PM

Yeah that's why I love MSI Afterburner. I have it set for 20% fan speed under 50C temps so basically idle it's really quiet. Jumps up to 30% at 50C and it's a steady climb to about 60% at 67C, and then it steeply climbs to 80% at 80C. When gaming it's usually under 70C (like 60-65C) so it's not too loud, and stress tests push it a little over 70C so that's when it gets very loud. But keeps it under 80C, which is pretty good. I should mention that this is with a 0.08V increase for 960 core/1190 mem.
m
0
l
July 12, 2010 4:32:37 PM

emmerichem said:
if i was to use Afterburner what is the latest release version

Best to download?


I've been running 1.5.1, so I can only vouch for that version, but it seems like a newer 1.6.1 version was released last week: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 7:27:00 AM

jonpaul37 said:
Fan speed is different in all cases, just mess around with it until you get comfortable noise-levels/temps, its all preference. Some people hate the extra noise, some people hate high temps...


Im the guy who hates HI TEMPS :( 
DB's dont bother me too much Heat does
i Have a coolermaster sniper but i replaced the two 200mm fans on side panel and top with 120's
as they deliver better cfm's so as you said i must just play with the fan and see what gives better result for me
Thanks Bro :D 
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 7:29:48 AM

AtomicPlayboyX said:
I've been running 1.5.1, so I can only vouch for that version, but it seems like a newer 1.6.1 version was released last week: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm


Cool i will try the 1.5.1 cause i checked the version i have is 1.6.1 Beta. i will also download 1.6.1 new version
Thanks
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 7:34:05 AM


Yeah i love the Fan profile Setting up its a real joy and change for the Fan setup :D 
m
0
l
!