Modest_80

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
So I recently finished a sort of new system build but had to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my smaller 5000GB drive because of my MOBO change. I was originally using a 1TB Seagate as a primary boot drive, and upon said purchase of this Seagate drive, had successfully cloned my 500GB drive to it.

Well, now every time I try to use Disk Wizard, Seagate's own cloning software, I get a random unexplained shutdown around 33%(no BSOD, nothing). This does not happen during normal computer use, just clone attempts. Upon restart, the 1TB drive isn't even detected by Windows and I have to repartition it for it to be recognized. Could it be some power saving feature of my new MOBO activating during the clone or some other problem? Thanks for any help.

Solution

I think that is put there by windows-7 for system recovery purposes. You probably do not need the space...

Modest_80

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

System Specs- Antec 300 case
500 GB Samsung drive (as primary boot drive atm)
1 TB Seagate Drive
700 W OCZ StealthXtreme PS
I5 750 Cpu
Gigabyte GA P55 USB3 Mobo
His IceQ4 4850
4gb Crucial DDR3 Ram

You can try using acronis true image. A 30 day free trial download is available. I bought the program and have used it successfully several times, both under windows and cd boot. It will lock the OS so that there are no unintended hard drive updates during the clone process. At completion, a reboot is required to unlock. It is all automatic.

Modest_80

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

Ive tried said version of Acronis too. :( Same result-I want to say that Seagates Disk Wizard is practically the same program as Acronis, I seem to remember reading that somewhere and the software looks remarkably similar.

THere is a small OEM partition remaining on the HD after I reformat-maybe getting rid of that would help?

Any idea what that OEM partition is? You might want to try reformatting the whole drive. Seagate utilities should be able to check the drive for errors and reformat. During normal computer use, you may not be accessing a failing tsection of the drive.

Modest_80

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Amazing. Apparently the old OEM partition is a Dell partition from YEARS ago. When I built my first system from the ground up, I cloned a HD in my Dell 8400 to avoid losing all of my stuff. This partition has apparently survived multiple operating systems, HDs, and 2 builds. I just followed a guide and deleted the original OEM partition.

New question though: There is also a smaller OEM partition (47MB compared to the 85MB one I just got rid of) on my current 500GB drive. Can I use the same steps to get rid of that one, since I believe it may be the same thing, or is there a risk it will affect the partition I'm using now?

I think that is put there by windows-7 for system recovery purposes. You probably do not need the space enough to try to delete it.

Solution