Sign in with
Your question

Possible new build

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2009 1:51:30 AM

Hello everyone, I'd like to get some opinions. I'm going to buy Win7 probably around XMas & want to make sure my comfuser will be up to it. Below are my comfuser specs as of right now:

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon64 4000+
Mem: 2Gigs of Kingston DDR3200
GPU: BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT OC
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE 250Gig SATA
OD1: Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-1633S
OD2: LG SuperMulti w/Lightscribe GSA-H10L
MCR: Y-E Data Diskette/Card Reader YD-8V03

Other than the OS & MCR (planning to upgrade it), will my Mobo & CPU be sufficient? Yes they are old, but work fine for me right now. If the Mobo won't do, how about the Asus M3N78-EM (good price at Fry's) & an AMD Phenom X3?

More about : build

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
June 6, 2009 5:54:48 AM

Hello mate :) 
Definitely upgrade your CPU/RAM if u want to to upgrade your rig,and that combination that u posted (ASUS M3 motherboard with an Phenom CPU would give u a nice performance boost)also a 4GB RAM would be good too (since they are cheap now).
If u want to game too,then getting a better VGA will help(Also make sure your current power supply can handle these upgrades otherwise u have to change your PSU too )
June 6, 2009 1:56:07 PM

Corey said:
Hello everyone, I'd like to get some opinions. I'm going to buy Win7 probably around XMas & want to make sure my comfuser will be up to it. Below are my comfuser specs as of right now:

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon64 4000+
Mem: 2Gigs of Kingston DDR3200
GPU: BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT OC
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE 250Gig SATA
OD1: Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-1633S
OD2: LG SuperMulti w/Lightscribe GSA-H10L
MCR: Y-E Data Diskette/Card Reader YD-8V03

Other than the OS & MCR (planning to upgrade it), will my Mobo & CPU be sufficient? Yes they are old, but work fine for me right now. If the Mobo won't do, how about the Asus M3N78-EM (good price at Fry's) & an AMD Phenom X3?

Go with an x2 Athlon - get 2 x 2Gig - 500 SATA DVD RW SATA for the money, shopp around on Ebay and you'll find you may spend an extra $20. Always look for free shipping.
Related resources
June 7, 2009 3:50:01 AM

My main sticking point is: should I stay w/my old mobo or get the Asus M3N78-EM? Which would handle Win7 best?

Also, how is the Win7 RC running when it comes to older XP games (ALL DOOM games, Hulk, Madden, etc.)? Should I dual-boot Win7 w/XP or will XP not be needed?
June 7, 2009 4:31:58 PM

The only reason to go away from your socket 939 board is to keep up with processor change of socket and DRAM. I assumed you wanted to try to save some ching during the process, thus my answer to go Athlonx2 and (2x2G) Assuming you already have 2x2gig - to make 4 gig. SATA 500G $50 SATA DVDRW - $35 2x2Gig - $60 x2 Athlon $60 - Yes, you are still stuck with older tech, but for this short money you can live with it? no?
June 30, 2009 9:11:28 PM

Hi,
I know its been a while since your post but I was just wondering where you went, as far as upgrade and how much it set you back. I'll bet you went with a killer system and didn't hold back. I may be interested in some of your older components if they're still around.
See Ya.
!