StevetheLateralPirate

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Being accursed with a best buy gift card of ~$75, I chose to peruse their selection of CD/DVD RW, since my desktop lacks one. Unfortunately, their variety is meager; a HP 1260i and a LG GH24 are the only internals among the plethora of externals. Both have similar price, ratings, and + & - CD/DVD compatibility, which most are superfluous to my needs. The LG, however, has lightscribe, which is superfluous as well. I haven't has enough experience with either company's hardware to winnow the choice to a singularity, so hopefully you guys might know. On the other hand, should I look elsewhere if both prove to be inferior? Thanks for your consideration.

Either would be pretty good. I've had real good luck with LG's, and that HP got good reviews overall.

There's not much difference in optical drives. They either work, or they don't. Some last longer than others, some read a little better than others. But that can be mostly luck of the draw. You may get one or the other that lasts for 5 years, while the next person picks the same one, and it's DOA.