New build won't start, help

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Okay this is my first build ever. I looked in my mobo instruction manual to figure out how to build this. Anyway i get everything installed plug in my PSU, hold my breath and turn it on. The power flickers on everything turns on for aprox 2 seconds then the power goes out. 1 second later the power returns the system starts again and a few seconds later the power leaves the system. This happens over and over again.

Help!

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I forgot to mention there are no beeps or anything from the mother board. Anyone know what it could be!

edit: the frustrating thing about this is this is my last day off and i wont have time to figure it out after today and i have no clue where to start : (

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Since you've eliminated the PSU, lets next try the power switch from the case. Unplug the power switch connector from your motherboard. Take a screwdriver or a paperclip and then short the two pins. See if the pc will stay on for that.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Okay i did that. Same behavior.

It almost seems like its a power issue because of the way the power sometimes only sightly flickers out and and random times the power goes out.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
*Check that you have the the cpu fan plugged in
*Check to see that you have the the 4/8 pin connector plugged into the motherboard.
*remove your wireless card for the time being.

Are u getting any vidoe signal? Assuming all the fans start spining?

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
*third party cpu fan is plugged in
*8pin connector is plugged in ( assume its the right one since it wasnt labled but was the only plug on my powersupply that fit. Also it had a removable 4 pin part)
*Have not even opened the wireless card yet.

No video signal sir, none what so ever.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Double check you have the right 8 pin connector plugged into this.

Another thing to check is if your psu comes with a 4 pin (it should), try inserting this instead of the 8. See if you get a different result

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
What parts do you exactly have installed?

Doublecheck all your heat sinks are seated good. (make sure its not heat related).

starting to get into faulty hardware terrority, just trying to slim down what is causing it.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
i put standoff screws in every hole on my mb tray could this be shorting it out since there is mettal touching the MB in places where the holes arent

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
everything was installed but the wireless card..now i have 3 sticks of ram and my video card uninstalled.

You mean the heat sinks on the motherboard?

Also could overtighting of the heatsink caus anything?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
put the vidoe card back in and see if you get vidoe signal. Need to see if your getting to the bios or not...

Also try clearing your cmos...

(I dought the heatsink is on "too" tight)

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I put it back in when i tried the 1 ram thing, i still wasnt getting bios, no signal at all.

Ill reinstall it.

Also i tried clearing the CMOS through the jumper ill try the battery trick now.

im really hoping nothings DOA.

Also when i installed the CPU i didnt push down on just tightened the bracket i noticed it was a little wigly but i read not to push down on it maybe thats messed up?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
sorry for taking longer each time trying to do some research on this problem.

when installing the cpu it should fall into place fairly easy. There then is a bracket that fits around the cpu that you clamp down on it which will hold it firmly in place. It should snap into place. The heat sink should then be applied.

Plug in one stick of ram, cpu, heat sink, vidoe card and that's it. remove hard drive, dvd drive and any leds or anything like that you might have in the case.

You might want to get on the phone with asus tech support. I'm starting to think it might be a bad MB.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for your help i don't mind the wait for good advice.

I took the MB out of the case and am hooking it up with only the components you mentioned. Going to use the screw driver trick to start it and hopefully all will be good. Will update with results.

edit: it appears i wasnt installing the video card correctly. Now that the motherboard is out of the case i can see that by the duel slot cooler i was not inserting hte chip even half as far as it went.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Okay it boots up. Restarted once but is now running steady.. no picture. It was either the extra stand off shorting it out or the video card not being in far enough

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Well i had to go to class. Just hooked the computer up got to the screen where i need to enter the product key in ... cant find it anywhere. Check the CD and it says "this software contains 32 bit software only".

/facepalm. Anyways i call newegg up they say it may still be the 64 bit software so to go ahead and try it out and to call microsoft for a new product key ... so i guess im going to do that.

THanks for the great help kubes do you know if its possible that i still got the 64 bit OS?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Sure sounds like you got a 32bit os. What you can do is install it and there is an upgrade option. I'm not exactly sure how to do it but I think there's a number you can call and for like $10bucks you can get the 64 bit edition mailed to you. (It's highly recommended to do a full clean install)

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Ugg. This is annoying since i purchased the 64 bit. So what your saying is install the 32 bit for now then wait till i get the 64 bit and do a full clean install?

Is there anyway to do this without loosing data?