Understanding S.M.A.R.T. Data for Western Digital 320GB HD

kumori

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I have a Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA hard drive (Model: WDC WD3200AAKS-00UU3A0) and I recently got an odd Windows 7 notice in my notification bar saying that "****.exe is unreadable. Please run CHKDSK" or something to that effect. I downloaded the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and ran both the Quick and Extended tests, which both came back as PASS. I also ran CHKDSK and that also discovered no problems.

However my question is regarding the SMART data I got, which had a high Raw Read Error Rate (200), Spin Up Time (141) and Re-allocated Sector Count (200). I'm wondering if these are any stats to be worried about? The drive is about a month old.

Here's a snapshot of the data:
wddata.png

You got a fairly decent drive so you shouldn't have any long term issues. As for the file it may be corruption or a false alarm. 589 hours isn't much use, I got 12,399 hours on my 40gb. 4,782 hours on my seagate 160gb, being replaced due to spindle. 9,309 hours on my 250gb. 4,065 on my wd6400aaks 640gb blue.

kumori

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks for the information! I haven't seen anything else out of the ordinary, so it might have just been a Windows false alarm.

As you have run the manufactures diagnostics program and it did not find anything wrong then I would say that the hard disk is fine and that you do not have anything to worry about with the hard disk.
The fact that you got a corruption of your file system that CHKDSK presumably fixed, I would be concerned that your memory was working correctly. Try running memtest86 overnight.
However this kind of problem can also be caused by not shutting down the computer properly.