Sign in with
Your question

HDD cloning, and OS migration

Last response: in Storage
July 18, 2010 12:32:40 AM

Hey all,

So over the summer, I assembled a new desktop computer for school in the fall. I (thankfully) got all of the parts to work together, and it actually started on the first try. However, I've hit a bit of a wall with the OS. My original plan was to take advantage of a student discount offered for Win 7 Pro. Unfortunately, they do not offer a full install version, just the upgrade. However, I have an older computer upstairs still running XP. Would I be able to wipe this drive, reinstall XP onto the same (old) drive, make a clone of the old drive onto the new one, and then install Win 7 over that? Or is it just more prudent to buy a new (OEM) version of 7, and take the $100 hit?

Thanks for the advice.

More about : hdd cloning migration

a b G Storage
July 18, 2010 1:38:47 AM

You have a new system. Unless your old XP is a mutli-license, you should not have it installed on more than one computer. Take the plunge, get an OEM or Full Version of Win7 home premium, unless you need Pro, then get that one.
July 19, 2010 2:04:06 AM

Sound advice. My main goal of the work-around was to save money, but I think I'll "take the plunge" as you put it. Since I'll probably go with OEM, is there anything really important I need to know before getting it? From what I've read so far:

-An OEM license is non-transferable to new hardware, should I choose to upgrade (I won't/don't plan to for a while, so I'm not too concerned with that).
-Microsoft doesn't offer free tech support for OEM versions.
-I guess OEM-System builder software (such as ) is less than legal for me to purchase/use...?

Also, will I hit any snags during the installation using OEM? Or is it more or less insert disk, follow onscreen prompts?

Thanks much for your help!
!