HDD cloning, and OS migration

sirjames989

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hey all,

So over the summer, I assembled a new desktop computer for school in the fall. I (thankfully) got all of the parts to work together, and it actually started on the first try. However, I've hit a bit of a wall with the OS. My original plan was to take advantage of a student discount offered for Win 7 Pro. Unfortunately, they do not offer a full install version, just the upgrade. However, I have an older computer upstairs still running XP. Would I be able to wipe this drive, reinstall XP onto the same (old) drive, make a clone of the old drive onto the new one, and then install Win 7 over that? Or is it just more prudent to buy a new (OEM) version of 7, and take the $100 hit?

Thanks for the advice.

sirjames989

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Sound advice. My main goal of the work-around was to save money, but I think I'll "take the plunge" as you put it. Since I'll probably go with OEM, is there anything really important I need to know before getting it? From what I've read so far:

-An OEM license is non-transferable to new hardware, should I choose to upgrade (I won't/don't plan to for a while, so I'm not too concerned with that).
-Microsoft doesn't offer free tech support for OEM versions.
-I guess OEM-System builder software (such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758) is less than legal for me to purchase/use...?

Also, will I hit any snags during the installation using OEM? Or is it more or less insert disk, follow onscreen prompts?

Thanks much for your help!