Fileserver (24/7) and htpc build!

haus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I have around 600 dollars (no more than 1000) to spend on a new build. i'd like to spend down the low end of the scale.

It'll primarily be a low-energy-consumption build (denoted desktop 2) which will primarily be used as a fileserver, torrent box, and movie watching machine. It'll be left on 24/7. I'd like to plug it into my widescreen tv downstairs to watch videos! It needs wifi. I'd also like to set up 1tb or so of storage. It also needs a dvd burner. A smallish case would be good, something that doesnt look too much like a pc. IT NEEDS TO BE QUIET and not warm up the room!

I'm currently living off an eeepc after my main pc's (denoted desktop 1) video card broke down and i havent been paid enough to buy a new video card. It's an e6400 with 2gb of ram and a 7900gs. I'd like to think that this new machine im building (desktop 2) would have video quality and speed on par with desktop 1, if not better, but i know its a longshot due to monetary restrictions. Desktop 1 has 250gb, 380gb, and 450gb hdd's, some which i could possibly throw in the new build.

some questions that are going through my mind are: maybe i could throw the e6400 in the new build? whats its power consumption like? should i go with an amd build? onboard graphics or seperate graphics card?

what kind of build should i get, and what kind of parts? be verbose!

Here's an AMD system:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS120-04 - OEM
Western Digital 1TB
OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2 800 2x2GB
Foxconn A7VMX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Apollo AP-HD4670 256MB Radeon HD 4670 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX - Retail
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Antec earthwatts EA380 380W ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Add WiFi card to above.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I am using an AMD 5200 + 780G MB that serves about the same purpose but it's obviously not as energy efficient as what Zenthar is suggesting on the other hand it's far from being as powerful as your E6400. For that you would need something like the AMD 6000 which is a 89w CPU. At first you could try the integrated video card and see how it goes on your TV and if it's not good enough then grab an ATI 4670. As for power supply get a good quality 400W from Corsair, Antec, Silverstone etc. A good seize HHD is also important, something such as the WD 640 gig Black Edition. Case can pretty much be anything as long as you're not too picky because real HTPC case can be pretty expensive. Mine is housed in a cheap Cooler Master Elite 330. Not great but it does the job.