scub

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Can someone explain the difference between the CPU temp and core temps?

i don't get why there is such a big difference between the two.. sometimes cpu temp = 70-75 while cores are under 50c. i assume CPU temp is the temp on the motherboard socket and not the actual CPU temp? which is more important when overclocking, core, CPU temp or both?

i just overclocked the i7 930 (still tweaking the settings) how does the vcore look for my clock (1.325 in bios).. still learning this stuff!

thanks.

temp2qa.jpg

tempsw.jpg

If these are your idle temps, they look high. For this CPU (i7-930) and this OC (4042 MHz), I would expect idle temps to be not over 35 degs C with a decent after-market air cooler. You should be able to lower the core voltage (and thereby reduce heat).

Make sure that the RAM is running at or slightly below the manufacturer's rated speed. You ensure this by setting the RAM ratio to its LOWEST setting (8x?) and then after achieving the desired CPU OC, you check and adjust the ratio while still being within limits.

For reference, my i7-920 is OCed to 3082 MHz and my idle temps (as I am typing this) are 31 degs C, and core voltage is 1.270. My 1600 MHz RAM is underclocked to 1452 MHz.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
the difference between Core temp and CPU temp is where the meter is getting the reading from. The CPU temp is taken on the chip bridge and the core temp is taken from within the chip. the reason you see a difference is because the outside of the chip will always be a little cooler then inside it. That is why you worry about the CORE temp more then the CPU temp.

mdbrotha03

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

I'm running less volts at 4ghz 21x192 1.2v

My processor runs hot because the room its in is warm.

OC.jpg