Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Compare these for gaming.

Last response: in Components
Share
April 14, 2009 6:36:20 AM

Hello All,
I would like your opinion on which of these systems I should get. I will do mostly gaming on them. Probably not the heavy gaming I've read some people do. Don't really know how to put it since I haven't done much gaming on a computer. More a hobby than real serious.
Anyway, thanks to all that take the time and effort to show me the way.

A.
This is a Pentium (4) 3.2 MHz Hyper Threading 800MHz CPU.
Brand New Foxconn Mother Board with
1 gig 3200 DDR Memory. 250 Gig SATA super fast Hard Drive.
256MB Nvida Graphics Card. Plexor Dvd Burner 18X Dual Layer DVD-RW/DVD+RW.
Very Nice Lighted PC Case W/side View. Comes with New Black Keyboard, Speakers and Mouse.
Loaded with XP Pro, Office 2007, Nero 7, CCleaner, Extra Programs and Games

B.
Excellent and reliable Dual Core DVD burning beast!
AMD Dual Core CPU @ 2.94 GHz
4 GB of Corsiar DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Ram
Massive 500GB SATA2 Western Digital Hard Drive
Cooler Master Centurion 5 black with front USB ports
Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX Motherboard (SLI Ready)
Features: FSB1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s) North Bridge NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP Memory Standard DDR2 800 PCI Express x16 2 SATA 3Gb/s6 PATA1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max Max LAN SpeedDual 10/100/1000Mbps IEEE 13941 x IEEE 1394a + 1 x IEEE 1394b USB6 x USB 2.0 Form FactorATX
Samsung 20X DVD Burner SATA with Lightscribe
Apevia 680 Watt SLI ready Power Supply
Powercolor HD 2600 XT PCI-e with 256 mb of GDDR 4!! HDMI support and built in 5.1 surround audio
22" LCD Widescreen Monitor - Black w/ Speakers SOYO new in Box
Running Windows XP SP3
Inclues Office 07 (word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, access), Cheetah DVD burner, Ashempoo Burning Studio 8, Alive Mp3 converter, Ultra ISO Premium.



More about : compare gaming

April 14, 2009 7:12:28 AM

Its pretty obvious that the B. system would be gaming over that P4. But that GPU needs to be upgraded if you want to play games.
April 14, 2009 7:34:40 AM

B, by a mile.

However, I don't believe the 590 chipset accepts Phenom I/II processors so upgrades are fairly limited in the CPU department.

The Pentium 4 is simply not an option, its underpowered and obsolete.
Related resources
April 14, 2009 9:04:14 AM

both of them are obselete.

how much are you paying for them?
April 14, 2009 11:58:38 AM

has some one said that option B is a beast?!

as its not

the CPU is ok and the GPU is a lil underpowered

give us some info so we can help

what is:

1. your budget
2. will u self build or go to shop
3. you budget price should only include the base unit not things like keybaord and mouse
April 14, 2009 1:25:06 PM

Hello and thanks for all the replys so far.

I'm going to try to give a better understanding of what I'm after concerning a computer or gaming computer.

Also, I will answer these questions already asked.

In a nutshell, I would like to play some games and most likely they would be single player games. Some games would be downloaded and others have a disc.
Along with the games, I would like to surf the net and such with decent speed.
That pretty much sums it up.

I have not bought either system.
The "A" system is $350.00 and the "B" system is $500.00 with the monitor.
I want to stay in the $500.00 range and is the reason I'm looking at used equipment.

What do you recommend for a GPU upgrade? And if I do a GPU upgrade, do you think this system would be OK for what I'm wanting? I'm not interested in upgrading every couple of years as long as it works good.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on a better system for the same money? Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably do the work myself with some help from friends.

Thanks again and let me hear you.
Jim

April 14, 2009 1:25:43 PM

Hello and thanks for all the replys so far.

I'm going to try to give a better understanding of what I'm after concerning a computer or gaming computer.

Also, I will answer these questions already asked.

In a nutshell, I would like to play some games and most likely they would be single player games. Some games would be downloaded and others have a disc.
Along with the games, I would like to surf the net and such with decent speed.
That pretty much sums it up.

I have not bought either system.
The "A" system is $350.00 and the "B" system is $500.00 with the monitor.
I want to stay in the $500.00 range and is the reason I'm looking at used equipment.

What do you recommend for a GPU upgrade? And if I do a GPU upgrade, do you think this system would be OK for what I'm wanting? I'm not interested in upgrading every couple of years as long as it works good.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on a better system for the same money? Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably do the work myself with some help from friends.

Thanks again and let me hear you.
Jim

April 14, 2009 1:29:23 PM

Hello and thanks for all the replys so far.

I'm going to try to give a better understanding of what I'm after concerning a computer or gaming computer.

Also, I will answer these questions already asked.

In a nutshell, I would like to play some games and most likely they would be single player games. Some games would be downloaded and others have a disc.
Along with the games, I would like to surf the net and such with decent speed.
That pretty much sums it up.

I have not bought either system.
The "A" system is $350.00 and the "B" system is $500.00 with the monitor.
I want to stay in the $500.00 range and is the reason I'm looking at used equipment.

What do you recommend for a GPU upgrade? And if I do a GPU upgrade, do you think this system would be OK for what I'm wanting? I'm not interested in upgrading every couple of years as long as it works good.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions on a better system for the same money? Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably do the work myself with some help from friends.

Thanks again and let me hear you.
Jim

April 14, 2009 1:46:53 PM


I have no idea why this reply was posted 3 times.
April 14, 2009 4:28:40 PM

is that $500 with a monitor or $500 for the tower?

what is ur buddget for the tower on its own
April 14, 2009 4:31:03 PM

personally for a cheap system id go for a pentium dual core

e5200
asus Motherboard with 1333 FSB prolly p43
9600GT or better pref 9800GT
450W good brand PSU
3rd party heat sink

id choose the cpu and MB as it can overclock to 3.3-4 ghz on air with a 1333fsb mothbaord
April 14, 2009 4:49:17 PM

mildiner86 said:
is that $500 with a monitor or $500 for the tower?

what is ur buddget for the tower on its own






$500.00 w/o monitor
April 14, 2009 5:30:41 PM

Opition B. is got newer technology much more space and yes it is a bit pricy but if thats your budget then youve hit the sweetest spot and i dont think a gpu upgrade is necesery at the present moment.
when you say you play "not the heavy games" do you mean sims or games that dont rquire very much from the computer?
April 14, 2009 8:32:28 PM

AdamDBurns said:
Opition B. is got newer technology much more space and yes it is a bit pricy but if thats your budget then youve hit the sweetest spot and i dont think a gpu upgrade is necesery at the present moment.
when you say you play "not the heavy games" do you mean sims or games that dont rquire very much from the computer?



"not the heavy games" is probably the wrong term to use in this instance. I was actually referring to games online that had a multitude of players. I have played very few games as such on the computer except at game sites.

Thanks for your comments and advice. Even though everyone may not exactly agree with each other, the overall picture becomes more clear with each individuals comments and suggestions.

This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted.

Thanks
April 14, 2009 8:59:48 PM

jdl786 said:
Hello All,
I would like your opinion on which of these systems I should get. I will do mostly gaming on them. Probably not the heavy gaming I've read some people do. Don't really know how to put it since I haven't done much gaming on a computer. More a hobby than real serious.
Anyway, thanks to all that take the time and effort to show me the way.

A.
This is a Pentium (4) 3.2 MHz Hyper Threading 800MHz CPU.
Brand New Foxconn Mother Board with
1 gig 3200 DDR Memory. 250 Gig SATA super fast Hard Drive.
256MB Nvida Graphics Card. Plexor Dvd Burner 18X Dual Layer DVD-RW/DVD+RW.
Very Nice Lighted PC Case W/side View. Comes with New Black Keyboard, Speakers and Mouse.
Loaded with XP Pro, Office 2007, Nero 7, CCleaner, Extra Programs and Games

B.
Excellent and reliable Dual Core DVD burning beast!
AMD Dual Core CPU @ 2.94 GHz
4 GB of Corsiar DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Ram
Massive 500GB SATA2 Western Digital Hard Drive
Cooler Master Centurion 5 black with front USB ports
Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX Motherboard (SLI Ready)
Features: FSB1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s) North Bridge NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP Memory Standard DDR2 800 PCI Express x16 2 SATA 3Gb/s6 PATA1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max Max LAN SpeedDual 10/100/1000Mbps IEEE 13941 x IEEE 1394a + 1 x IEEE 1394b USB6 x USB 2.0 Form FactorATX
Samsung 20X DVD Burner SATA with Lightscribe
Apevia 680 Watt SLI ready Power Supply
Powercolor HD 2600 XT PCI-e with 256 mb of GDDR 4!! HDMI support and built in 5.1 surround audio
22" LCD Widescreen Monitor - Black w/ Speakers SOYO new in Box
Running Windows XP SP3
Inclues Office 07 (word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, access), Cheetah DVD burner, Ashempoo Burning Studio 8, Alive Mp3 converter, Ultra ISO Premium.


how could you even hope to game at all with an old p4 chip and 1 gig of ram? i had to check the date of the post to make sure i was not reading something old,B is the ONLY option you have if you want to game at all. And you might need a better video card (like a 4830 which should be in the same price range or slithly higher)
April 20, 2009 1:13:00 AM

Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and thoughts.

I have decided to look at some different systems. Would you give me your thoughts about this one?



* Intel Celeron Dual-Core Processor LGA775
* GF7050VT-M Motherboard
* 2 Gigs High Performance DDR2 Memory
* 200 Gig SATA Hard drive
* DVD Burner SATA
* Nvidia Graphics (onboard), Sound, Ethernet (cable/dsl ready)
* 52x CD Rom
* Floppy Drive
* 500 Watt ATX Power supply
* Dell USB keyboard/mouse
* Dell 17" Flat CRT

* XP installed, Vista capable

$260.00
April 20, 2009 2:13:55 AM

jdl786 said:
Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and thoughts.

I have decided to look at some different systems. Would you give me your thoughts about this one?



* Intel Celeron Dual-Core Processor LGA775
* GF7050VT-M Motherboard
* 2 Gigs High Performance DDR2 Memory
* 200 Gig SATA Hard drive
* DVD Burner SATA
* Nvidia Graphics (onboard), Sound, Ethernet (cable/dsl ready)
* 52x CD Rom
* Floppy Drive
* 500 Watt ATX Power supply
* Dell USB keyboard/mouse
* Dell 17" Flat CRT

* XP installed, Vista capable

$260.00


looks to me like you are planning on staying as cheap as possible, that build will not be able to give you much performance in games, the celeron is intel's low end line and it could seriously bottleneck other hardware that you might add....integrated graphics for gaming won't really do much you may be able to play old titles but dx 10 titles won't really work with that and the best you could probably hope for is minimum settings if any.....2 gigs of ram will be enough for xp however games nowdays are demanding and when you factor in other applications running in the backgroud and at startup those 2 gigs just won't be able to carry everything....floppy drive? lol,this is 2009 not 1999 keep the floppy drive and sell it to a museum in a few years.......200 gb hard drive mmmm you could get a 250-320 gb hard drive withing that price range with better cache and faster rpm......the motherboard is weak as well. Looks to me like you are trying to save as much money as possible,i don't really know what your budget is but i will tell you if you plan on gaming you gotta be prepared to spend on some essential aspects...gaming has changed a lot in the last few years, they are more demanding and require a certain level of hardware.....i still think option B is the best option for you right now as long as you get a better graphics card for it, i could probably help you out and put together a very cheap gaming system and give you a list of parts to get off of newegg.com,but this 260 dollar system at best is an e mail machine good only for internet browsing.
April 20, 2009 3:15:01 AM

Thanks for your comments. These are not systems I'm putting together but systems people have for sale along with the price they are asking. Thanks for your input.
April 20, 2009 3:24:39 AM

Should of been 2 systems to rate. Here's the second one.


Fast Custom Built Gaming Computer
Cooler Master Special Elite 330 Computer Case
Cooler Master 500 watt ATX Power supply
Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
320 GB SATA Western Digital 7200rpm Hard drive 16 MB Cache (Very Fast Seek Time)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB Videocard (DirectX 10)
1 GB of RAM
Elitegroup ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V.3.0) Motherboard that supports up to 4 GB of RAM
Sony DVD+/-RW
32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium
Linksys WMP110 RangePlus Wireless 802.11b/g/n adapter

$400.00

April 20, 2009 3:25:20 AM

Should of been 2 systems to rate. Here's the second one.


Fast Custom Built Gaming Computer
Cooler Master Special Elite 330 Computer Case
Cooler Master 500 watt ATX Power supply
Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
320 GB SATA Western Digital 7200rpm Hard drive 16 MB Cache (Very Fast Seek Time)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB Videocard (DirectX 10)
1 GB of RAM
Elitegroup ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V.3.0) Motherboard that supports up to 4 GB of RAM
Sony DVD+/-RW
32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium
Linksys WMP110 RangePlus Wireless 802.11b/g/n adapter

$400.00

April 20, 2009 6:07:11 AM

jdl786 said:
Should of been 2 systems to rate. Here's the second one.


Fast Custom Built Gaming Computer
Cooler Master Special Elite 330 Computer Case
Cooler Master 500 watt ATX Power supply
Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
320 GB SATA Western Digital 7200rpm Hard drive 16 MB Cache (Very Fast Seek Time)
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB Videocard (DirectX 10)
1 GB of RAM
Elitegroup ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V.3.0) Motherboard that supports up to 4 GB of RAM
Sony DVD+/-RW
32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium
Linksys WMP110 RangePlus Wireless 802.11b/g/n adapter

$400.00


Bad deal, since it would cost about $15 more to build it new with almost the exact same parts, except a few 'upgrades':

320GB 16MB Cache -> 500GB 32MB Cache
bad Wireless adapter -> ethernet
bad Windows Vista -> Windows XP Home
!