Slow dell 1370 wireless internet

james smith

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Dell 1370 slow internet. I have a dell B120 laptop that is using the broadcom 1370 for a wireless card-My broadband connection is 9mbps and I have always got a 9mbps wireless connection, until recenlty when i had to reload my XP OS. And now i only recieve a 4mbps wireless connection. If i hook up wired then i get full 9mbps connection. so i figured something was wrong with the wireless. i reloaded wireless drivers and even bought a new Wireless card but no luck, still have the same problem. i have also tried other wireless laptops on my router and they get the full 9mbps.

G

Wireless is often half wired speed or less. It's a duplex system so half speed can be expected and poor reception can cripple that further.

james smith

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Wireless is often half wired speed or less. It's a duplex system so half speed can be expected and poor reception can cripple that further.

i see what your saying but i never had this problem before. i have always got the full 9mbps. until recently downloading the new drivers. and other wireless connections from 3 other laptops get the full 9mbps conection, none of which are dell laptops like mine

G

Then I guess you are looking at reception issues or setting MTU correctly in the router and computer.
Try downloading TCPOptimiser utility (free) which may offer some guidance on MTU.

For reception woes experiment with channels as environment affects signal at different frequencies -- also try to stay five stops away from strongest neighbouring wifi network. Raise router above furniture level, relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from computer or router.

Are you sure you downloaded the right driver for your adapter ?

TRENDING THREADS