First Time OC'ing - Need Help w/ i7 930

TrueFlog

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I just finished building a new PC with an i7 930 - my first new PC in over a decade. One of the reasons I chose the 930 was its reputation for overclocking potential. 4.0GHz on air? How can I pass that up. However, my actual results are not as good as I had hoped, so I'd appreciate if you guys can lend a hand.

I have been able to reach 4GHz while stable, but the temperature climbs to 90C under full load - much hotter than I'm comfortable with. I followed this guide, and here are the settings I've come up with:
Bclk - 182
CPU Mult - 22
IOH Core - 1.3V
QPI/Vtt - 1.315
Vcore - 1.325
Everything else at default

Parts list:
Intel i7 930
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master 692 Advanced (Stock fans only)

Any thoughts? Is it reasonable for me to expect to reach 4GHz with those components? Should I expect lower temps, or is 90C typical? Do I have to turn off Hyper-Threading to get a good OC? (It does drop my temps by 15C.) Thanks for the help!

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a great cooler, although I'm not sure if it can handle the i7 930 at 4.0 GHz. I really suggest 75°C or less, and if you do not need it, you should just turn Hyper-Threading off, otherwise you should just buy a newer cooler.

Also, how much thermal paste did you use?

bobbyjb

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

huh thats the only settings you need to mess with?? wow iv watched all these vids and read all these things and they rearange the entire bios if thats all you need to do for a simple cpu overclock i should finaly try it.

and back on topic try a noctua d-14 its the best thing besides water cooling but its only 80 bucks and the fans are dead quiet even on high.

TrueFlog

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I want to get the best I can without liquid cooling. I've read other places that some guys have been able to get as high as 4GHz with air. I was hoping some of them might chime in, post their settings, etc.

As for the thermal paste, the Hyper 212 came with a small plunger of paste. I put the entire amount on the CPU in one large drop.

EDIT: Found this today. He's got the same CPU, mobo, and cooler but has lower temps at a higher Vcore. Hrm... I'm wondering if maybe I didn't apply the TIM properly.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Yes, it's very easy to do with the 930, BUT you have to have a cooler that is capable of dealing with all that heat.

SEE Lmeow's post above, you need one of those to be able to handle it.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
O_O........uh, no. Why is everyone agreeing on this? The Hyper 212+ could reach 4.0 just fine if you have a decent chip... it's not even much worse than those high end coolers you mentioned, maybe a few degrees. There are many reviews with an OC'd 920/930 and perfectly fine temps.

Try re-seating it, and if that doesn't work, try lapping it.

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/Air_Cooling/212P/i7_38.jpg

TrueFlog

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Yeah, if I ran at 3.8GHz, I'd be seeing temps around 85C - 20C hotter than what that graph indicates. I ordered some AS5 today, so when that comes in, I'll apply it and re-seat the heatsink.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
TrueFlog, is 1.325 the lowest you can get the vcore? Most 930's will do it with 1.25 quite easily, that would lower your temps a bunch.
Maybe try setting it to 1.3v then 1.25v, and if both are stable, keep on lowering it, until it isn't... then push it back up a notch or two.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

That one always makes me laugh, the only way an i7 with a 212+ running with 1.45v vcore would be under 66c load would be if it was running in a walk in freezer (an ice cream freezer at -20c). :D

When the P55's launched I bought my i7 860 and UD4P on launch day. The only decent cooler for the 1156 platform that was available was the 212+. I had it installed for 2-3 weeks before I purchased the Megashadow (Megahalems) and believe me there is a big difference between the two. The 212+ is still cooling an end table in my office until I find something to stick it on, won't be an i7 though, that's for sure.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I didn't see the voltage on that pic... that is outrageous. 3.8 GHz would need 1.2...

Regardless, I don't think people are giving the cooler enough credit.
90C? That's either seriously overvolted, not seated, terrible ambient temps, or a bad chip.

My friend has a brand new 930 and 212+ that I am going to OC for him tomorrow, I'll let you know what I come up with.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I've recommended the 212+ to lots of people, for the money it's a great cooler. I just don't think it's a good match with an i7 though.

Yeah, let us know how you make out with the OCing.

Edit: here is a post of an i7 920 (DO) @ 4.312 Ghz @ 1.368v vcore, running on a Megahalems with push/pull fans, OCCT 1 hour 77c high temp.
If the 212+ can get anywhere near this, i'll take back ALL the bad things I've ever said about the 212+ and i7's.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=161432&st=75&p=1727253&#entry1727253

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

That is impressive, although I never said the 212+ was better than or equal to the Megahalems, just that it could reach 4.0GHz with a safe temp.
We'll see how it goes.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
=/ Well, we had to reschedule unfortunately. I'm really curious now, so when I get my hands on it in the next few days I'll probably make a separate thread on it. =]

RJR, you've planted the seed of doubt, I've been reading around and looking at this collection of OC's (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1502931) and I'm starting to think that if I can't get 4.0 at 1.25 or under, it would load above 75-80C. There are a few in there with a hyper 212+, all with higher voltages in the 1.3 range... so the cooler might do the job, but like you said, clearly isn't ideal for 4.0Ghz.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

OH man :cry: , I've been hitting up the TH forums on and off all day long waiting for news (yep, no life what so ever :) ).

OK, keep us posted.

TrueFlog

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

I'd like to see those results as well. If you do start a new thread, please post a link to it in this one.

As far as my situation goes, I have tried with lower voltage, but anything less than 1.325 is unstable. From what I've seen in other forums, that's not an unreasonable voltage for 4GHz with a 930. I don't plan on playing around with it anymore until the AS5 comes in. After that, I'll reapply the TIM, reseat the heatsink, and try again. I'll post my results here, but that probably won't be until the weekend.

EDIT: Not that anyone's paying attention, but... I wound up having to RMA my motherboard as it suddenly quit recognizing the third channel of my triple channel memory. Any attempts at re-applying the TIM and continuing to OC will have to wait a bit longer until the mobo comes back.