cok4861

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Ok so I just put together a system with:

Phenom II x3 710
Asus M4n78 PRO (Geforce 8300)
2 sticks (2gb each) of Corsair XMS 2 DDR 2
Rosewill 500W Green PSU

The system worked perfectly in XP minus a minor networking issue that I planned to bypass by disabling the onboard network device and buying a linksys ethernet card. Problem now is that we expereinced a severe thunderstorm yesterday in my area. I hadn't tried to install the PCI Ethernet card or turn the computer on till today.

I wake up in the morning and put the card in, without turning the computer on. Then I turn the computer on and wait...... Nothing comes on the screen. After about 2 minutes I hear the Windows XP lead-in over my speakers.

I don't understand why I'm not getting a picture???

I've tried everything. As of right now the system has 1 stick of ram in it and THAT"S IT! Completely minimal components, being that it's an all in one board. The computer Turns on but nothing comes on the screen. I took the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non conductive surface and still nothing. After about an hour of messing around, I decided the board must be fried. As a last ditch effor I plug the HDD and speakers in again just to see if it will even give me the windows XP noise again.... IT DOES!!!!? WTF

Does this mean just the onboard video part of the mobo is fried?

I cleared CMOS multiple times, and the thing is litereally only connected to PSU since it's an all in one board. No peripherals period. Just 1 stick of ram.

Can anyone help??? Greatly Appreciated

cok4861

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
BTW once it boots into XP (without picture), I can press the power button and turn the computer off via XP (I get the XP power off noise).

I dont understand what could be wrong? Besides the video problem it seems everything is fine.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Hmmm, can you test the monitor on another computer??? Maybe it's the monitor that's bad.

Otherwise you'll need a video card to test with. If the onboard video did fry, can you RMA the MB???

cok4861

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I can RMA the board.,I did try another motherboard, and I dont have another graphics card :( Thanks though. Is it even possible for only one part of the Mobo to Fry?

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
You did say you had an issue with the onboard NIC. Was it not working properly as well??? So now the video seems to have gone bad too. I would RMA the MB and hope EVERYTHING on the new one works.

Maybe the video didn't "fry" but just failed after some use. It does happen. That's why you should "burn in" a new build for a couple of days to see if anything dies under constant load during that time. Usually electronic parts die fairly quickly, and if they don't, they seem to last forever. Well almost.

As for my question about verifying your monitor still works, you say you tried another motherboard. Do you mean you connected THAT monitor to another motherboard/computer and it worked properly??? Just wondering what you meant.

I just looked up your motherboard and noticed it has both VGA and DVI outputs, did you try both to see if you can get video??? It also had HDMI, but I don't know what your using for a monitor.

cok4861

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
the NIC just had a wierd driver issue where it would only get limited connectivity. Probably just going to RMA the board, I just want to make sure the PSU or CPU isn't hurt either. Would be nice if I didn't have to RMA at all

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
One more thing, if you go to newegg and read the reviews on that board, (only 18 reviews though), 3 people seem to have had problems with the onboard NIC.

Maybe you should try a different board altogether.