Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale E8400 3.0 GHz
Power Supply: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W
Memory: G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 MHz & Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 MHz
Graphics: EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 250 GB
Case: Rosewill Destroyer
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro w/ Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Now, I've had this computer for nearly 2 years however my initial purchase was sans CPU cooler/case (used stock cooler and a hand-me-down case from a friend). I was quite the novice at the time and didn't realize until after I was out of funds that the case had no fans (very bad) and the stock cooler was crap (also very bad). Basically, my system (which I bought to be OC'd) was un OC-able. However, I was recently able to procure a respectable amount of cash with which I was able to purchase a bargain case and a highly-reviewed cpu cooler. With these in hand, I was able to OC my CPU to 4.0 GHz (445x9 | 1780 FSB @ 1.3v BIOS, 1.264v Idle, 1.248v Load | ~40-45 C @ Idle, 72 C @ Load) & dabble with the memory settings (400 MHz, 2.00D, 5-5-5-18 Timing @ 2.08v BIOS, 2.06v Idle, 2.06v Load) w/ CPU fan & both case fans on 100% (sound isn't an issue). GPU is OC'd from Core Clock: 600 MHz, Shader Clock: 1500 MHz, Memory Clock: 900 Mhz to Core Clock: 750 MHz, Shader Clock: 1875 MHz, Memory Clock: 1150 MHz. GPU sits at about 72 C @ Load.

Basically, I'd like for some of you advanced/power/enthusiast users to double-check what I've done & maybe help me push it further. I've been reading people can hit 4.2-4.5 GHz with the E8400, and people who are hitting 4.0 GHz are using more voltage than I am. My only concern is heat - Even with 2 120mm case fans @ 2000 RPM each, and a CPU fan @ 1800 RPM my CPU/GPU are sitting at just over 70 C which I'm not particularly comfortable with, but with all the threads I've read on heat... It doesn't seem to be THAT big an issue, I just need to keep an eye on it. (However, with my cooling setup I'm just wondering why it isn't lower...)

One last thing, I'm currently 1 hour into Prime95 stresstesting @ the first setting (forget what it is called...) without any errors or BSOD's. Which is better than I've been getting all day. Hopefully it'll last all night so I can have a stable baseline from which to work from.

Thanks to everyone who reads this in the future and helps me out.

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
thats a very good OC with a E8400 from 2 years ago. I got mine during the same time and am at 1.26v Bios at 3.6 only.

if its stable i wouldnt mess with it more. 4 ghz is plenty OC for all day use and with air cooling

eskimio

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
4745454b: I've gotten it to boot into windows with a 4.2 GHz OC, but seconds into prime95 it BSODs and reboots. :( I agree though, I hit the 4.00 GHz wall, which is what my goal from the beginning was.

shening: Yes, and ironically, it's been on the auto settings this entire time. Meaning its very likely the cpu/northbridge/gpu/memory have been over-voltaged quite often (and I usually dont turn my computer off unless i have to). Aka, for the circumstances, I am happy with what I have.

eskimio

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
As a matter of fact, I got a bit of advice from someone else who said that the fact that I'm mixing two different kinds of RAM (2x1 G.Skill & 2x2 Corsair) which each have their own timings and voltages, I could be making my system unstable by combining the two. He recommends going with just the Corsair (4 gigs) which seems to me to be a smart idea since I never really use more than 3 at any given time.

eskimio

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. And I agree, 72C at full load is worrisome.
Also, because I ran Prime95 all night with no problems, I've determined it's at least 95% stable so in the meantime I figure'd I'd test my GPU... Turns out the specs I put in the original post were only good at idle. I can't OC my GPU at ALL because of temps. It shot up into the 90s during a stress test and I killed it before it did permanent damage. Even at stock settings, under load, the GPU is sitting at 90C... But there's nothing I can do about that except clock it back. However, I've been using this GPU in a lesser cooled case for 2 years doing more graphically intensive gaming than I'm doing at the moment and it still hasn't died on me, so I guess it's safe to say this GPU is a trooper and it'll pull through for a few more months (if not years) yet.