E5200 OC build

nome

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Ok so I had a thread earlier about upgrading my amd system but I think I am scrapping that and moving to Intel. :) So now I'm looking for advice if I have chosen good parts as I want to OC and was unsure if the mb and ram were proper.

CPU: e5200

COOLER: OCZ OCZTVEND2 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

MB: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L

RAM: G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Total: $267.98 after shipping

Already have: 500w PSU, Nvidia 9800GT, Antec Super Lanboy case, 250gb sata hd, 500gb sata hd, dvd writer, fdd. think that's it :)

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The ram is NOT in the "official" Gigabyte compatibility list. However, I see no reason why it would not work. You probably will find that it will by default run at DDR2-800 speed at 5-5-5-12 or so at 1.8v. You will then need to enter the bios to adjust these parameters. Since you want to OC, this should not be a problem for you. Please note that you can set this ram at a speed of 400MHz in BIOS, (actual speed 200 and in sync with the cpu), and then overclock the fsb at will while still using either 1.8 or 1.9 vram! I think you have made some good choices.

nome

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Have you OC with this RAM or MB before or is there some info you can link me to? Sorry, still pretty much OC noob. I dabbled with OC'ing years ago but it's been so long.

I hope it all works out and I can give this baby a good OC. I'm sure I'll find all the help I need around here. Thanks for commenting.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
RAM: I'd go with G.Skill Pi Black DDR2-800 at CL4 for $50 (has a better heatsink at the same price), or the Mushkin HP2 at $45 if you want to save $5.

Heatsink: The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is comparable to the OCZ (need corresponding retention bracket/backplate for both).

Mobo: You want the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L for its P45 chipset.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Regarding links, look at this one for information on overclocking almost your exact setup.

Also, go to this forum and look at the two stickies at the top--temperature guide and how to overclock quads and duals. Read them carefully and you'll have a great start.

nome

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Ram looks better, thanks! :)

Is the bracket/backplate something I buy separate for the heatsink? I'm guessing it's this? Unfortunately it's out of stock.

What is the benefit of the P45? From my bit of research I could only uncover mention of dual gpu support but other than that the P43 was the same? But if that's the case, what is the point of a P45 board with only one video slot? I'd like to justify the added cost. Yes the P45 has a rebate almost making it the same price but those take forever to get.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
+1 to auburnfury

Yes, the backplate is separate from the heatsink, although some coolers come with them. You need to add a backplate to the heatsink because it is a heavy weight cantilevering off the vertical mobo--helps to prevent cracks, and adds strength to the connection. Also because the weight of the heatsink exceeds the design spec of 450 grams for the LGA 775 socket.

Note that when you go to install the Xigmatek, then you have to first cut off the plastic push-pins that are attached to the mounting points, before you can use the spring-loaded screws to bolt the cooler in place.

That Xigmatek bracket has been frequently out of stock lately--try this one: Thermalright LGA 775 Bolt-Thru kit, which is the same thing.

Here is the definitive statement on P45 vs. P43 from Proximon's Guide to Choosing Parts. Scroll down a little from the top to find the chipset section. The P45 is also a newer version of the chipset, a "v.2" if you'd like, and in this industry it's always better to get the v.2, IMO.

The E5200 can overclock *very* well, so I'd go for the P45 if I were you. The value in the added cost is that you can squeeze a bit more out of your CPU, resulting in faster overall speed.

The single video slot issue is a bit misleading--there are only 16 lanes for the video slot(s). If the mobo runs 2 slots, then the 16 lanes are split into 2 lanes of x8 each. Hence, there is that issue about "saturating the x8 link in Crossfire", which generally only applies to video cards like the 4870x2. Crossfire is just a way of maximizing video bandwith.

nome

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Thanks again. I'll be sure to get one of the brackets. I'll probably order this some time next week. I may just go ahead and spring for the p45 with crossfire support. Still thinking about that hmmmmm... :)

nome

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I think I'm going with the gskill ddr2-800 ram. Correct me if I'm wrong but going ddr2-1066 won't benefit me as I won't hit a high enough fsb to utilize it? I thought I read that ddr2-800 is highest I need for this cpu and even an e8400? Please educate my noobness. :p If I'm right there's no point in paying more for the 1066 and waiting 6 months for the rebate to show up lol

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Yup--you're right. DDR2-800 is sufficient for this setup, seeing that there is no way to hit the theoretical limit of 400FSBx12.5=5GHz anyway.

The higher RAM speed only matters if you want to run an asynchronous RAM divider, which offers marginal benefit.

Agreed--only raised that Corsair Dominator because it was such a good deal, but waiting for the rebate is also a minus.