Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 and Xeon motherboard...

Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2009 7:35:01 PM

I'm looking into building a new rig for high-end 3D graphics rendering so I'm trying to get as much power out of the system as I can without spending an arm and a leg on Xeons (for the price of one Xeon, I could buy two i7s of comparable performance). Is it possible to put two i7's into a dual CPU server motherboard?

More about : core xeon motherboard

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2009 7:42:11 PM

No. The i7 only has one QPI link enabled, while you need 2 for the dual socket boards. Get the Xeon 5500 series CPUs instead. They are more expensive, but they do perform, and unlike the i7, they work with the multi-socket systems.
April 14, 2009 7:56:02 PM

cjl said:
No. The i7 only has one QPI link enabled, while you need 2 for the dual socket boards. Get the Xeon 5500 series CPUs instead. They are more expensive, but they do perform, and unlike the i7, they work with the multi-socket systems.

Thats what I thought, thanks. $2000 vs $600 is a big difference though :p 

Are there any benchmarks out there that compare dual CPU configs vs. single CPU? I see a lot of benchmarks for desktop cpus under 3D rendering loads but none for server configs using dual Xeons.
September 11, 2009 11:24:25 AM

id love to see one of those tests too, if anyone cares, email me adam@aliveit.net, much appreciated
!