I need a 550-650 wallet power supply for my Dell Vostro 220m

I would like to spend close to 40 to 50 dollars to power a ati 4830 or 4850. I have currently installed 4 gigs on my rig and would like to get more juice. This is my first time trying to install a psu so i don't know all the power connector's names. :sweat:
Thank you for spending your time reading my question! :D

Computer: Dell vostro 220 mini
standard atx (i think)
28 answers Last reply
More about wallet power supply dell vostro 220m
  1. Yep, it's a standard ATX, so you can just swap the current one with this (costs $55 on NewEgg):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702010
  2. Is this Dell a slimline edition? If it is theres going to be trouble fitting it in there.
  3. AKM880 said:
    Is this Dell a slimline edition? If it is theres going to be trouble fitting it in there.

Just to be clear badfps, this is your PC right? http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-vostro-220mt?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Is that a slimline edition Dell AKM880?
  4. No its not but theres also a Dell Vostro 220 but the slimline, I just wanted to make sure. Because many people have slimline PC's and buy full height graphics cards, these will not fit.
  5. ^ And PSU's!! Also Dell has made most of their lineup BTX
  6. What's worrying is that I suddenly can't find anything saying ATX on the spec page... hmmm... :sweat:

Would it be possible to post pics of your Dell opened up badfps?
  7. It isn't ATX, Dell uses BTX, mBTX and sometimes proprietary BTX. A PSU might fit with some modding help of course.
  8. I have the Mini tower not the slim one. I thought this was atx!
  9. Is this the layout of your Vostro?

10. You are correct WR2, it is a ZTX. Finally Dells get some sense lol, most of they're lineup used to be BTX. I found another pic on a site. Here it is.

11. You can upgrade it then to a ATX PSU becuase the case and mobo layout design is ATX. My bad lol.......
  12. AKM880 said:
    Finally Dells get some sense lol, most of they're lineup used to be BTX.
    If Dell changed it wasn't because it made sense - it was because it would save them money.

@ badfps - why do you need 650watt PSU?
  13. Yes it would save them money, but I thought the point of BTX for Dell was to make upgrading a pain, so people would have to buy products and upgrades from their site,?
  14. badfps said:
    I would like to spend close to 40 to 50 dollars to power a ati 4830 or 4850.

He wants to power those video cards, I think a Corsair 550W ATX PSU could handle that, right?
  15. A couple PSUs with enough power for your system and a 4850 video card:
    CORSAIR 400CX 400W or PC Power & Cooling Silencer 420W
    The Corsair is slightly more powerful on +12V 30amps vs 27amps for the Silencer 420W. Both have a PCI-e power connector for the video card.
  16. Guys, badfps was also wondering how to situate the replacement PSU. Am I correct in saying he should do so that any and all fans are oriented towards open space, and not blocked by the actual casing of the CPU? :)
  17. By that do you mean the bottom of the PSU were the fan is should be sucking air hot air from the CPU and the case to blow it out the back. This is correct make sure its facing out or the components could possible overheat.
  18. Quote:
    A couple PSUs with enough power for your system and a 4850 video card:
    CORSAIR 400CX 400W or PC Power & Cooling Silencer 420W
    The Corsair is slightly more powerful on +12V 30amps vs 27amps for the Silencer 420W. Both have a PCI-e power connector for the video card.

I'm in a similar upgrade situation. I tried the Corsair 400cx in a Dell Vostro 220 before and it wouldn't work. I think there was a grounding problem. Dell also said that the motherboard won't support PSUs higher than 300 Watts.

I would think that the 4670 would be the best option, but I still want to get some confirmation from someone who has tried it in their Dell because it seems to have parts that aren't upgrade friendly.
  19. Hmmm... that could be problematic of course. Although another I-wanna-upgrade-my-Dell-PC-PSU thread gave me this idea: Would it be possible to just buy a new case, then move all the components to it? Surely this will mean more work, but it could eliminate the grounding problem you were talking about d3ath. I wonder how the mobo-limitation can be removed though.
  20. Isn't that a BTX type layout? Its either too hard to find a case or cases are really expensive, you can probably get some newer components for what the case is worth.
  21. I've been researching this same thing for same Vostro 220.
    From the measurements I've done (with the psu still in case) the size is 150 x 86 x 140 (5.9 x 3.4 x 5.5). Not 150 x 86 x 150 (5.9 x 3.4 x 5.9) like the ones linked. This is the one I'm looking at since it says Dell compatible and is 150 x 86 x 140 (5.9 x 3.4 x 5.5)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703016

Still looking around because I'll like more that 500w just to be safe.
  22. i also read the comments and there was a guy who did put it in his 220 mini and it worked, but this is a lot lol i am so cheap. time to save up !
  23. AKM880 said:
    Isn't that a BTX type layout? Its either too hard to find a case or cases are really expensive, you can probably get some newer components for what the case is worth.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new case, and just move everything there? Are there frames designed to make BTX mobos fit into ATX cases?
  24. Yeah there are cases, but they're not really nice looking and cost 250+.
  25. Got links to any examples? I was talking about some add-on to make a BTX motherboard fit inside an ATX case. BTX mobo's are usually smaller than ATX ones, right?
  26. No they are not smaller, they are full tower cases that have a conversion tool to make it BTX compatible. I'm pretty sure this is how it works. Heres some links.

EDIT! I'm sorry r_manic, I was thinking about the BTX that is like ATX but slightly different. If you need to replace a BTX board like Dell which is m-BTX then you'll need a case like this one.

Its about 250 more than my original guess. Might as well get another computer.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119132
  27. ^ Looks like its only the CoolerMaster CSX series that support it.
  28. i think thatpsu will work because i read a comment saying it worked on a dell vortro 220m, hope for the best! :??:
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Components Product