ryu4000

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
2.66Ghz Intel Core i7-920 8MB Cache FSB 1333 Quad-Core
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler Extremely Quiet
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 (Intel X58, 3xPCIEx, 8-Channel Audio, LAN, 8xSATA2, 6xDDR3, 1394, 1333FSB)
6GB (2GBx3) PC10600 DDR3 1333Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA300
896MB nVidia GeForce GTX 260 GDDR3 PCI Express DVI/Tvout
Thermaltake Black Armor VA8003BWS 25cm Fan (8 5.25, 5 3.5 bays) 5 Fans, Window, Front Audio/USB/1394
850watt Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-850
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
Standard 1 year parts and labor

would this be a good deal for someone that dont know anything about installing heat sinks and stuff i can gut a computer just never did put paste on them before or put on a aftermarket cooling on all for 1,477.00 this is all from ecollage.com should i just get stock power supply and buy my own or is that good enough i have a sound card and stuff already so i left most stuff stock

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
looks too expensive to me.

putting a little bit of thermal compound isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.

if you are real worried just about that, build you own, and put the extra money into a faster stock processor and use stock cooling. there is no skill at all involved with aplying the stock cooler.

Dump the 500GB 16MB disk. Get a 640GB disk, it's a lot faster.

That GA-EX58-DS4 supports Crossfire but not SLI. It's just wrong to get an expensive Crossfire-only MB and a 850W PSU and then combine them with a SLI-only card. Switch to HD 4870 1GB or get a SLI motherboard.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2959

I am not convinced that the AC Freezer 7 Pro can be used on socket 1366 boards and CPUs. Maybe if they now ship it with a special bracket. That cooler is not suitable IMO anyway for a high-end build. You don't sound prepared to overclock, so I suggest you don't get any cooler at all and just use what comes with the CPU. If you do want to overclock, get a Noctua NH-U12P.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608007

That TPQ-850 is a high-quality PSU. It can handle two GTX 260 cards or two HD 4870 cards. I'd keep it.

ryu4000

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
what about this one any better its a little more then the one i posted or should i just build a q9550 computer?

Case ( Coolermaster HAF 932 Full-Tower Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Case Lighting ( None )
Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
Processor ( [New !!] Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
Processor Cooling ( [$10 OFF Mail-In Rebate] [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Three PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module Corsair Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
2nd Hard Drive ( None )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( None )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( None )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( None )
Monitor ( None )
2nd Monitor ( None )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Meter Display ( None )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )
Operation System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )
Case Round Cable ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower )
Case Round Cable ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound the best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks by its unique designed molecular size and shape )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
MP3 Player ( None )
Video Camera ( None )
Headset ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Good case, but it makes you pay for a 420W PS just to throw it out.

The Antec 850W is better than the CoolerMaster 850W.

The 500GB disk is about 40% slower than a 640GB.

Good choice of MB, it now allows you to add a second card when/if needed.

I don't like that they don't say what kind of RAM and video card you get. You'll get whatever they can find cheapest.

ryu4000

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
i keep hearing if you wanna game on a core i7 you need to video cards and then they just tell the people to stick with a c2q cause they play better.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
its much more cheaper, plus you can custimize your parts and know exactly what your getting when you do your own build. www.newegg.com has amazing prices and you could save yourself hundreds of dollars. its a lot of fun as well. And like noted above you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do a build. There's plenty of youtube vidoes and articles on how to actually do the assembly part which makes it a lot easier. The hardest part is getting the parts list. There are some great minds on this forum (like aevm) that are great at building and coming up with a parts list that suits exactly what you need your computer to do for you. Also some great people that can help you trouble shoot your problems. If you do a little homework, you can save yourself a lot of money and learn a ton about computers and how they work. It really is a lot of fun.