Zenze

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I am getting a used cpu and mobo that have been overclocked. The mobo is a Asus P55 and the cpu is a Intel i5-750 that has been OCed from 2.66GHz to 3.7GHz. Also it has a aftermarket heatsink: Coolmaster.

So first of all I was hoping someone could tell me if this was a safe overclock to use? Also if its not or if I don't really need to have it overclocked how would I go about un-overclocking it? I was thinking that I could just do something like "restore factory settings" or something in the BIOS.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Assuming it was installed correctly, that HSF should safely run an i5 750 at 3.7ghz, provided you are not running it in a very hot environment. If you install a simple, free program like CoreTemp, you can monitor the temps. I don't know the i5 750 temp limits (I am sure someone here can help in that regard) but you can see for yourself if it is running too hot.

If you just want to run it at stock anyway, you are completely correct, the Bios will have an option to reset to factory/default settings.