Intel Q1 report

From http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=OBR&Date=20090414&ID=9785894&Symbol=INTC:

Intel results top Street forecast

The world's top chipmaker reported a net profit in the first quarter ended March 28 of $647 million, or 11 cents a share, down from $1.44 billion, or 25 cents a share, a year earlier.

Analysts had expected a profit of 3 cents a share, according to Reuters Estimates.

Revenue fell 26 percent to $7.1 billion, versus the average analyst estimate of $6.98 billion.

Intel said for internal purposes it is planning for revenue to be flat from the first quarter, compared with analysts' average estimate of $7.0 billion.

Gross margins, a closely watched barometer of its health, were 45.6 percent in the first quarter versus the Wall Street forecast of 43.5 percent. For the second quarter, the company expects margins to be in the mid-40s.

Not nearly as bad as was feared or predicted, it seems, and perhaps the rotten economy is actually turning around.

In another report http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=AP&Date=20090414&ID=9785835&Symbol=INTC

Intel's sales of $7.1 billion were about $100 million higher than estimates.

"We believe PC sales bottomed out during the first quarter and that the industry is returning to normal seasonal patterns," said Intel's chief executive, Paul Otellini, said in a statement.

As the world's largest semiconductor company, Intel's results help gauge demand for personal computers, and are a proxy for the health of overall technology spending.

and

Intel owns about 80 percent of the world's PC microprocessor market, and has been stealing share from smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. with the Atom chip. Atom is Intel's first microprocessor for "netbooks," which are mini-laptops that do less than regular laptops, but are very popular because they also cost less.

Of course there's no links for the "stealing share" comment, so I guess we'll have to wait for AMD's quarterly report which I believe comes out after COB Thursday.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
AMD saved their own asses with the ATI purchase, considering ATI is slowly starting to reclaim the GPU market. Also, I think AMD might have a steady flow from the success of Phenom II. Hopefully they are at least breaking even, even if not profiting.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

ATI nearly bankrupted AMD.

AMD did very little with the ATI brand really untill the 4000 series came out - AMD did nothing with ati for almost a year and was being trounced by Nvidia everywhere..

AMD also had nothing but issues with Phenom 1 mark 1 and version 2 of Phenom 1 was a little dissapointing considering it was a new chip etc etc.

Now Phenom 2 is better but the 940 is on par with a 9550 intel. not that good considering the 9550 was out for a good 3 months or more..

The 4000 series is a great card but Nvidia being Nvidia has stolen the crown again. Has AMD got the cash to compete with Nvidia... er i guess not.. ATI's biggest mistake in my opinion was not to have a logo on almost every game made which nvidia has... ie TWIWMTBP moniker which is now plays better on nvidia..I wonder how many nvidias out sell ati's.

People look at the box and think that the experience will be better on Nvidia, something which AMD did not have

Dunno about breaking even but the $800M they got from Abu Dhabi is certainly going to help their bottom line this past quarter. I think they also spun off about $1.1B in debt from the ATI purchase, onto the new GlobalFoundry company, so that helps a bit, as the remaining debt is down to $4B or so.

Just think - Bill Gates could buy AMD with his pocket change :).

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea - that would probably give AMD the R&D funds to be firing shots at Intel, nVidia and Apple for many years into the future :). And first priority at Microsoft as well.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Hmm I thought for sure they would barely break 5 billion, props to management.

Word, Playa.

No, I said Bill Gates, who is retired from MS. Maybe he's looking for something to do other than loose mosquitoes on an unsuspecting audience, as he did a couple months ago to scare them into thinking that they would catch malaria. Probably egged on by his wife Melinda :).

The first-tier support from MS would be just icing on the cake :).

I'm sure Atom sales had a lot to do with it - will be some time before we see a breakdown however.

AMD really missed the ocean liner with cancelling bobcat.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

That is not actually a bad idea..

Imagine all the AMD fanbois rejoicing over the fact that windows would "un intentionally" run faster on AMD hardware..

The graphic interface will be conditionally streamlined to work with AMD/ATI video cards.. But then again AMD would loose its processor liscence if it hasnt done so already.

True. But I think if Bill G. bought 51% of the stock and became CEO, AMD would still exist as an independent company and thus keep its x86 license. Any dealings with MS would be under the table, so to speak :). Bill is still relatively young (compared to Ruiz) and has a remarkable success record (compared to Ruiz). Would be a refreshing change of management. I discount Meyer because I think AMD is still running on Ruiz's guidance, even though he's nominally at GlobalFoundry.

Some info from Intel's conference call: http://seekingalpha.com/article/130923-intel-corp-q1-2009-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo

Paul Otellini

Our first quarter results clearly reflected the depth of the efficiency work in which we’ve been engaged over the past three year. While the global economy continues to be weak and uncertain, our execution this quarter was outstanding. We have adjusted quickly to this new environment where demand remains difficult to predict and order lead times have contracted.

As we indicated in our last earnings call, we made significant reductions in our weaker starts to bring inventory in line with the new demand environment. These actions resulted in an inventory reduction of 19% below the fourth quarter levels. Our spending is being controlled and the number of employees declined by 1,400 from Q4 levels.

Almost all the headcount reductions in Q1 and in 2009 will be focused on aligning our factory network to the new demand levels while accelerating our conversion to newer silicon technologies.

Our product development machine is in high gear, delivering a new generation of products in all segments. We believe that these products extend our lead in our core businesses and position us for significant growth in the new markets we are targeting.

In terms of demand, we saw a few important trends play out this quarter. First, we are seeing signs that a bottom in the PC market segment has been reached. I believe the worst is now behind us from an inventory correction and demand level adjustment level perspective. We saw order patterns strengthen throughout the quarter. Desktop sales appear to have hit bottom first and have followed more normal patterns since early February. In notebooks, the length of the supply chain and higher levels of inventory took longer to work through but now have returned to normal levels.

In terms of end-user consumption, the consumer segment has held up much better than the enterprise. This is particularly true in consumer notebooks, which continue to be the volume driver in this segment. Netbook sales continue to grow as anticipated and are clearly incremental volume for us in a difficult market.

In the enterprise segment, the server portion is in reasonable shape, partially reflecting demand for our newly released dual-processor products. The client portion remains weak, reflecting constrained budgets and redeployment of older equipment. The install base of enterprise notebooks is now over three years average age and will need to be upgraded as capital budgets free up.

Lastly, in terms of end markets, we saw the U.S. and China demonstrate relative strength while Europe, Japan, and the emerging markets showed continuing weakness.

Looking forward, I want to comment on our product and technology direction. First, we recently launched the dual-processor server versions of our Nehalem family of products and the market reception has been remarkable. Nehalem is no ordinary upgrade. These products reflect the single largest increase in server performance we have ever delivered, generation to generation and enabled revolutionary advances in performance and performance per watt metrics.

At launch we had over 230 designs using the new Intel Zion 5500 across all of our OEMs with a fully-stocked distribution channel ready to support a fast ramp. This family offers enterprises the opportunity to improve their capability while lowering their cost of computing. I expect that value proposition to be extremely important during these challenging economic times.

If you combine the core I-7 and the Intel Xeon 5500 processors, this week Intel expects to ship its one-millionth Nehalem-based microprocessor, demonstrating that the market still responds to the best performing products.

Our 32-nanometer process is very healthy and shows great promise for us. This is the reason we recently announced a $7.0 billion investment in plants and equipment to accelerate high volume deployment of this technology.

We have pulled in Westmere, our fist 32-nanometer product family, and will now be shipping those products later this year. We have shipped thousands of Westmere samples to over 30 EOM customers already. We also look forward to the launch of our new consumer ultra low voltage products which will enable many new thing and light notebooks at very compelling price points.

In closing, while it is clear that our end markets are still impacted by the global financial conditions, we are comfortable with our investment levels and capacity profile. We expect business conditions in Q2 to mirror those in Q1 with some gradual recovering of demand and replenishment of inventories occurring as the industry sees increasing signs of stabilization and a return to more normal seasonal trends.