MSI K9A2 Platinum V1 bios help

seandhan

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Greetings,
I recently built a desktop using a MSI K9A2 Platinum Mobo with an AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor and after installation I am seeing the "AMD Processor model unknown". I know for fact that the bios on the chipset does not fully recognize the CPU as a result and would really like to find out if upgrading the bios will benefit the system other than by properly identifying the CPU.
Any assistance on how to safely upgrade the bios will also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
you should go here to download this app to update the bios. Do not do this in the windows environment. I just did mine and it was a breeze. Note when you click on the link, you will need to register but it's well worth it. Once you do this, click the link again and you will see the tools to run the update. Also, i had to go into the bios and make the FAT32 usb the first boot device, and actually disable all the rest in order for it to run the files that are copied on the usb device. I used the 4th method they discuss on the link. This worked very smooth so hope this helps.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b00ceaf9e0f51e3f31b7fb9216b921d&topic=116721.0

seandhan

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hey,

I am sorry for leaving out that bit of information. After checking the boot sequence it says that it has version 14.

Any help that has been proven to be a safe procedure to update the bios will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

seandhan

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hey,

I booted the system in dos mode and attempted to flash it using the version 17 of the bios update i got the following "CMOS Layout difference between system ROM and ROM file has detected. AFU recommeds adding /B, /C commands of your original input command"
There are three option after:
A - to accept AFU's recommendation
F - to keep original input commands
Q - to quit flash

After seeing the two first option i was not sure which to choose so i quit flash.

Please advise which one to choose such that my mobo wont be lost in the process...

Note: i created and used a boot cd using Nero 7 ultra.

Thanks.

ld777

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
you should go here to download this app to update the bios. Do not do this in the windows environment. I just did mine and it was a breeze. Note when you click on the link, you will need to register but it's well worth it. Once you do this, click the link again and you will see the tools to run the update. Also, i had to go into the bios and make the FAT32 usb the first boot device, and actually disable all the rest in order for it to run the files that are copied on the usb device. I used the 4th method they discuss on the link. This worked very smooth so hope this helps.

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b00ceaf9e0f51e3f31b7fb9216b921d&topic=116721.0

Solution