Did any of your last cpus ever died?

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I was just wondering..this is not me most common piece that dies on a pc, so i was wondering if any of you already experienced a dead cpu for any reason? overheat, overclock...too many cicles ? :D

Sidenote: one cpu already died on me, an athlon xp 2000+, the cooler felt, the cpu didnt die instantly, but within a month it died slowly giving me each time more errors, blue screens and artifacts!

So please, share your experiences!

Zenthar

Distinguished
A GPU once died on me, I tried to remove the cooler stuck in "now-rock-solid" thermal paste and I must have caused micro-fractures, I was getting all kinds of artifact in both 2D and 3D apps.

There is this once I gave my old MB+CPU to my brother, he told me it didn't work anymore ... could be the MB, the CPU or a transportation accident ... it was working just fine a week before when I upgraded.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Don't know man, never happened to me. (p4 2.4GHz, 2800+ Barton, 3700+ San Diego, 4200+ Toledo OC'd, numerous P4 office machines that have been running for years)

Perhaps if you kept your chip at unsafe heat levels for an extended period of time it would eventually fail. (chip creep or something like that)

Otherwise I would blame any other component in the system before the CPU.

My daughter in college managed to drown her Core Duo in beer last summer. Actually it was in a lappy and I think she was drinking and AIM'ing at the time. Now she has my lappy with a Core2 Duo in it - I hope the little ah heck can swim! :)

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
None personally but I've seen several over the course. The first was a 286 in a DIPP package. The guy tried to piggyback the chip like you used to do memory. The last one was a Mountain Dew Event while the guy was puttng on an aftermarket HSF and thought mopping it up was all he needed to do. I keep telling these people, when you let the magic smoke out of the chip it won't work anymore.

Yes. An AMD T-Bird (Unlocked of course!). I got a 2nd hand PC with it, swapped out board, and did a li'l OCing. I had the voltage set WAY too high and died about 2 years later. It was a fun chip tp play with. RIP. (Btw, I did not do much (except for the unlock) re-search on OCing back then, just messed with the settings and figured out most of it by trial and error.

I have never had a personal CPU, not even the P233MMX that I had running at 333 MHz for several years, die on me.

I did replace a 2 GHz P4 Celeron in one of our old office machines over here after the fan died.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Exactly, it's almost instinctive when you got a faulty computer, you will blame anything else before the cpu.

But a cpu can die due to too many cicles over the years (not overheat), and that's because of electro-migration, which causes the ware-out of the inner conductors of the chip itself, but that will only happen if that conductor had been used for trillions and trillions of times, and that should be why we dont see a cpu diyng on us due to too many use (in proper cooling condictions).

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I've had a Pentium 3, a Pentium 4 and a Core 2 Quad. None of them have died. I had the GeForce 6200, and have the 8600 and the Radeon 4850. Only the 6200 has died.

Kari

Splendid
none of mine has died, 386sx 33Mhz, 486dx4 120MHz, PII 266, PIII 733, Athlon 1800+, Athlon64 3000+, Core2Duo 6550...

I have lost mobos, psus, HDDs, fans (bearings), joysticks, floppy and optical drive but no cpus (knocks on the wood)

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
A crappy celeron died on my friend and I replaced it with one of my old P4s. My other P4 actually still rocks out and is slightly OCd. Intel has been good to me so far.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
My P4 Prescott burned up on me, and I replaced it with the Athlon 64 in my sig. That experience made me an AMD man. I do, however, have a 10-year old 450 MHz P3 which is still running (I think; the machine needs a hard drive) in an old Dell, as well as another old Dell running a P4 1.6 GHz.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Yes the CPU is locked but dried compound is like Krazy Glue lol, if you don't heat it up first it'll pull the CPU out of the socket with it, EVEN though its locked into place. Got around 8 - 9 pins bent once. Took a loong time to get it back straight lol.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Never had problems like that before. That's maybe because after using the computer for a while, I just shut down and remove the HSF. So maybe its already warm.

Ravenica

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
None of my cpu's ever died.. But i did have a 8400gt died on me.. Totally wouldn't boot with that gpu in any mobo..

Because CF/SLI solutions are a waste of money and limited by drivers, so i get the best P/P card possible, which is currently the 4890. Using your logic, I have to ask why people running NON-nforce boards use NVIDIA?

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
That's a really dumb question. nForce boards run best with nvidia cards, but non-nForce boards with single PCI-E slots run both the same way. nForce is nvidia. Might as well have gone for a 275 since you have an nForce.

EDIT: Its not like you need to get an nForce for an nvidia card, but why would you get nForce if you don't want nvidia? I just want to know why. Its not like it's wrong.

TRENDING THREADS