Bluescreens on Bios default

CaptainHero81

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi everybody,

I am trying now for days to find the right settings for my System. I am getting one bluescreen after another (on idle too)
Even on Bios defaults or Optimized Settings my System is crashing. I have read a couple overclocking guides, but I guess I don´t understand them completley. I never used to overclock my Systems so thats all new to me. If somebody has almost the same System like I do. I would like just to compare the Bios Settings to find out why I m gettin bluescreens.

My System :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (Yorkfield)
OCZ ReaperX HPC DDR3-1333 2 GB Kit (OCZ3RPX1333EB2GK)
Gigabyte GA-48T-DQ6 (Bios Version F6D)
EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX 512MB
Seagate 500GB (ST3500320AS)
Samsung 20x SH-S203S
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
OCZ 720 Watt EvoStream SLI (OCZ720EVOSLI)
Microsoft Vista Home 64-Bit (OEM)

bilbat

Splendid
Let's give 'er a try... I haven't worked with a 'T' board yet (too cheap to pay for DDR3, but that's gotta change - next server build will be i7), but I'm using the same MCH - the X48 (mine's a DS5, basically the same board); I think that's really good memory, as it's got excellent specs, and I can't find a single complaint or question on OCZ's Gigabyte forum (which, unfortunately, means I also got little help there at all...); I'm sure we'll be able to get it cranking...

First thing - download a copy of MemTest86+ from:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
grab the "Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)", extract it, and burn the iso to create a bootable CD. (post back if you are not familiar with iso files - I'll post a little tutorial)

Next thing - try the following with one stick of RAM in slot 1 (closest to CPU)

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page, set:
"First Boot Device" to CDROM (so we can boot the MemTest disk when we need to...)
"Second Boot Device" to "Hard Disk"
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disable"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disable"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page, set:
"Legacy USB storage detect" to "Disable"

On the "Power Management Setup" page, set:
"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)"
"HPET Support" to "Enable"
"HPET Mode" to "64-bit"

Now, on to 'the good stuff'! (most of this should be 'auto', check it - if there are differences, please post...)
One more note - here is where your board and mine differ; I'm going on research and the manual - if anything seems radically wrong, post and we'll figure it out!

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:
"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"

==========Don't panic - I'm going to post this temporarily, and get into my BIOS to look at some things - I'll be back (as Arnold says...!)========

Ok - I think my problem is that the manual lists some strange values in their BIOS capture screens, but , except for the wording, I think I'm on familiar ground...
again, back to the ""MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:
"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio " at "8"
"CPU Frequency" is calculated from other settings - it only changes when you change the settings - we're going to aim for 'stock' CPU first, so it should be 2.66GHz
"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enable"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "333"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" - not "auto"
"C.I.A.2" to "Disable"
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "4.0#" or "4.0B", whichever your board shows as a selection -note-
...this is one of the secrets to tuning memory:
...the MCH (memory control hub, or northbridge) is somewhat like memory itself
...in that there are latencies involved in the 'hookup' between the CPU bus and
...the memory controller; like memory, you want these latencies to be as small as
...possible, yet high enough to allow the whole shebang to work! These latency
...settings are referred to as 'straps', and there are four sets of them. They are
...shown in the memory multiplier selections as a letter, or character after the
...actual multiplier: 200 bus (800 FSB) are shown as 'C' or '+'; 266 (1066 FSB) as "A" or "~";
...333 (1333 FSB - the one we're going to use for now) as "B" or "#", and 400, the fastest (1600 FSB)
...as "D". Only certain multipliers are available on each 'strap': 200 usually has 2.66 (4:3), 3.33 (5:3), and 4.0 (2:1);
...266 has 2.5 (5:4), 3.0 (3:2), and, once again 4.0 (2:1) - but - remember, it's 4.0 with 'looser' latencies;
...333 has 2.0 (1:1), 2.4 (6:5), 3.2 (8:5), and, again, 4.0 (2:1), but, again, at higher latency;
...and 400 has 2.0 (1:1), 2.66 (4:3), and 3.33 (5:3). The ratios in parentheses are the important part,
...and here's why - they are the ratio of the memory and CPU busses at that multiplier, and
...certain memory transactions can only occur when the memory to MCH bus and the MCH to
...CPU bus are synchronized - this happens continuosly at 1:1, but with a 3.2 multiplier (8:5) it
...happens only every eighth (or fifth, depending how you look at it) cycle, so you wind up with
...the possibilty of having seven 'wait states' until the synch happens, or an average delay for
...these transactions of 3.5 (7/2) cycles... Obviously, the 1:1 situation is optimal, but it's a balancing act,
...as usual, between latency, stability, and speed. That said, back to the settings...

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" is, once again, calculated - if everything is set right, it should show "1333"
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

******** Standard Timing Control ********
"CAS Latency Time" to "6"
"DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay" to "5"
"DRAM RAS# Precharge" to "5"
"Precharge delay (tRAS)" to "18"

******** Advanced Timing Control ********
Leave all at 'auto' but check that "Static tRead Value" is at least 7 - if lower, raise to 7, if higher, leave it...

******** Clock Driving & Skew Control ********
Leave all at 'auto'

"System Voltage Control" to "manual"
"DDR3 OverVoltage Control" to "+.35" and that should do it - run a full pass of Memtest, switch RAM stick, and test the second one - if good, post back, we're on to the next step...

Good lock!
Bill

CaptainHero81

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi,

First I set the Bios to Default then checked the Settings you posted. One stick of Ram, closest to the CPU. Memtest is on the CD. Ram Settings are on Auto (SPD) and so. There is nothing adjusted.

I will run Memtest now an report as soon I get some results.

*Checked the first RAM - passed the Test*

CaptainHero81

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi,

I checked both RAM with Memtest86+ 2.11

One was good, passed all Tests

The other one was showing errors during the whole test.
When I tried to start Windows with the bad one I got a bluescreen wit the message MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Looks like I have to buy new RAM or is there Warranty on them??

Mr_Bojangles

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
The way you first posted it sounds like this is a brand new system with all brand new components, I'm pretty sure it should all be under warranty. Call the manufacturer to find out.

Edit: http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/warranty/ should be the relevant page you are looking for

bilbat

Splendid
Ah Ha! You found the culprit! As I mentioned, OCZ is good stuff - here's what NewEgg lists under manufacturer's warranty:

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): Lifetime
Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): Lifetime

Can check it out (and create an RMA ticket) here:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/support/warranty/