Underclocking AMD Turion X2 ultra 64

akr007

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Hi there.

Is there any way i can underclock this CPU?

Its a MOBILE cpu from my HP laptop.

CPU: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Turion%20X2%20Ultra%20ZM-85%20-%20TMZM85DAM23GG.html

LAPTOP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=pt&cc=pt&docname=c01815659&product=4000145&lang=pt

The problem is the heat, it gets too hot, the problem is not with the CPU but with the bad laptop design the air openings are just to small.

I already undervolted all P states to the minimum, i lost aprox 10º C but it still gets too hot on 100% CPU usage, it automatically reboots in aprox 2 min wen it reaches 100ºC.

Its at 2300Mhz and i would not mind having it at 2000Mhz if it solved the problem.

All i can find with google is that i cant change the clock of mobile AMD CPU because the are locked. Is that realy so?

Thanks in advanced!

AMD CPUs are locked, in the sense you cannot change them in the BIOS. I'm not sure if there's Windows software which allows you to change the speeds for AMD processors, I know there is for Intel. Have you tried cleaning out the vents?

akr007

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply!

I got no bio options for clock speed.

There is an app (K10STAT), its made for the k10 family which is very similar to this CPU i think and it worked for changing the voltage. I then tried changing the multiplier, i tried 2000mhz, 2100 and 2200. i got a BSOD every time.

At the moment im using 1.0750V for 2300Mhz, should i lower the voltage together with lowering the frequency? does that make sense? could the voltage being too high for the new frequency be the reason it crashes?

About cleaning the vents...well this laptop is still on warranty so if i go there and talk to them about the temps thats exactly what they will do, but 6 months from now i know i will have this problem again so im trying to find a permanent solution.

Voltage being too high is pretty much never a concern if it's within its specified limits. I suggest you talk to the technicians and ask how to open it and clean it up, that would probably be your safest option. Otherwise you could put the laptop on mini stands (I have a DV6-1103AX which has a pretty hot Athlon X2 QL-65 @ 2.1 GHz, I put it on stands (just small blocks of wood) and it helps with temperatures considerably).

akr007

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I will probably go and buy a can of compressed air and try and blow some dust away, opening the laptop and trying to clean it myself is kind of out of the question because i may lose the warranty. maybe i get lucky and the cpu fries then il get a different model for free :)

my old laptop was HP/AMD/ATI also and i never got any of these problems, im kinda mad with HP for this one especialy because with would be so easily solvable with a couple more holes near the CPU fan. realy a stupid design flaw. Il probably go for something diferent(not HP) next time.

The voltage information you gave me is good! thanks for the reply once again.

If any one got more info on underclocking this CPU id appreciate it.

anomaly297

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Try downloading AMD OverDrive off their website. I downloaded it yesterday and was playing around with overclocking my AMD Turion X2 Ultra (in the K8 family I believe). I don't think HP's power settings allow you to control CPU speeds, but my Acer has a tool called ePowerManagement that lets me choose whether to allow my CPU to run at full power depending on whether it is plugged in. I accidentally overclocked it to double the factory settings (from 2.20 GHz to 4.40 GHz) and nearly destroyed it, so be careful. I used ePowerManagement and OverDrive to drop mine from 2200 (200MHz * 5.5 for each core) to 1100 (200MHz * 2.75 for each core).

TankforGod3

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2012
if you have your laptop on the carpet, blankets, or anything that has dust on it then your problem isn't the processor, it's the fan. if too much dust gets in the fan and vents it gets clogged up and gets hot, go somewhere and have them blow it out for you and see if that helps your overheating problems because it helped mine.