mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Well first off just seen the Vid of C-Macc's that you put up a while back and felt quite proud so i thought i would show you my new project C-Macc's 2 the revenge.

This time im taking my concept of C-Macc's and pushing the boundaries ever further.

C-Macc’s 2 – The Revenge – Jan 2009

A while back I took a jap candy cab and built myself a system that could play any game in the world. I re worked all the internals and upgraded all the hardware with in the cab so that it had the ability to play consoles to pc to old retro computing it was all covered. It has been and still is a big hit with everyone who gets to play her and always draws a whoo “How many games” …. And all ways the question “does it have so and so game?” which has always followed with a few clicks of the buttons to reveal it hidden surprises to its amazement of the guests. Followed by many hours of finger bashing pleasure that any arcade owner would be proud off.

Now as per the norm some people like the system and some who well they don’t but they are normally people who have never seen the system in the flesh and only seem to criticize for no good reason. There however was so good questions thrown at me and all so some good ideas that were all listed to.

But and this is the big but I was never realy happy with c-macc's. I hadn’t made the casing myself and all I had really done was introduced a way that all the systems could work together in harmony and beefed up the electronic components inside, I needed more (I called it my ½ Mod). I decided to redesign a new model arcade system which I first called I-Macc’s but after finishing off the frame work and taking my time to view it in all its glory I decided it was not what I was after. It just didn’t jump out and kick you in the teeth. I basically was not happy.

Here are a few Pictures of I-macc’s from Concept to frame work before I took a saw and sent it back to the depths of depravity.

I-Macc's

6.png

7.png

9.png

DSCF3183.jpg

DSCF3182.jpg

DSCF3181.jpg

DSCF3179.jpg

DSCF3172.jpg

DSCF3173.jpg

I-Maccs4.jpg

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Now i wasnt happy with I-maccs so i canned the project and started again.I started up Google sketch up and after a few hours of learning how to use the program I went under my merry way of a complete redesign of the sub frame and control panel system. Now this took a few weeks of pulling the design apart and re configuring everything and well as you may or may not know just hammering away till it looked right and was feasible. I then started to build the 2nd frame but after the frame was built I came to release that I had missed one vital error and that was the width of the screen was to big to be seated on the frame work correctly and there was no way to fix this problem .. so I had started again but this time taking into account the Screen sizes.

Below are some Pics of the concept views of C-Macc’s 2 and a YouTube Video that I put up.

c-macc-s24.png

c-macc-s21.png

C-Maccs26.jpg

C-Maccs25.jpg

C-Maccs24.jpg

C-Maccs23.jpg

C-Maccs22.jpg

C-Maccs21.jpg

and this is the video i put on youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-9kRb7JEU

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
So with a few ups and downs and with the recession seemingly hitting every one very hard I proceeded with my plans and started work on the sub frame of C-Macc’s 2.

Now to point some thing out before others do this frame work was basically designed around the looks of a Sega Naomi arcade cab but with some major design differences. You'll see them as the build carries on.

netcity.jpg

Its taken quite a good few weeks to get this far due to the above problems but things are starting to look up. The frame work is built using Hollow steal 2 x 1” and this is what it looks like so far without the TV bracket mounting. Im stood next to it to give you a good idea of the size of the frame work.

Now some Pics of some of the work so far ...

3.jpg

2.jpg

1-1.jpg

This is the basic frame work complete with out the TV mounting fitted.

Now that will do for now ill post up more as the project progresses. Hope you enjoy the work so far. Im open to comments or suggestion of my project.

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Time fly’s when you having fun. Here is a 32″ Samsung LCD Fitted. Ive taken photos at different angles on the frame. It will house up to a 50″ Screen which might be just a little to big for most but when i get the chance ill show it with a larger screen later on. Time to crack on learning wood work now lol. if next time i come on and i cannot type its because ive never in my life used a new tool called a Circular saw that ive just bought hahaha … finger liking good stuff …..

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
thks for the comment ...

update as such

Well a massive fu?? Up on my part. while fitting the CP back and forth working on dimensions i caught the spintrak wire and basically ripped it out. The damage is in the pic below.

DSCF3470.jpg

----------
i didnt know the wire lay out so i took a multi meter and figured it all out.

from left to right ..

Left =5v
next = x1
next = Ground
last = x2

so then i basically i ground down the broken trace then used window quick silver which is the same stuff used for trace repair. left it 5 min then soldered new wires. Tested and working fine .. thank god ...

happy as larry.

DSCF3473.jpg

this was a big mistake that could have cost me £60 luckily im used to trace repairing on xboxs and all so graphic cards and lucky enough i had the tools at hand to do the repair.

If you ever going to do a trace repair dont ever have a soldering iron hotter than 15 watts else you going to Burn off more trace. I personally have a adjustable soldering iron than can do from .2 watt to 500 watt witch all so has a Blow torch fitted for lifting things such as GPU's (yes i have replaced a GPU at one time when i chipped it when placing a DD WC block on it lol).

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
that was about 2 years ago. i was at a TFF Lan and one of my DD blocks cames loose on one of my SLI Gpu's and it chipped a small peace off the GPU, I managed to get a buggered card off some one else on ebay that had done some other damage, so i lifted his old GPU off his card and My Gpu off my card and replaced it. I did have it documented some were on the net with photos, will have to look it up but like i say it was 2 years ago. I would never be able to do it know cos my eye site now sucks and to be honest dont think i have the steady hands for it any more.

a few more pics. Still working on the CP just added the base (not permanently though) Did some more work sanding down as you can see from the wood work my skills are real poor but at least im giving it ago. I still need to some how tail the back end off as i relay am not happy at the way it looks at the back end when fitted.

I wont be able to have the draw for the Joy pads but thats fine as i can add one in the main body. Still loads of work to do but pics below any way for you all to lol at my bad wood working stills but good wood filling skills .... lol

Last pic you can see i played with my new router hehehe .. i love its lol .. ill be routing every thing round the home now.

Need to go tidy the kitchen before the lass gets home else shell kill me ...

DSCF3476.jpg

DSCF3477.jpg

DSCF3478.jpg

DSCF3481.jpg

Routed

DSCF3487.jpg

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
yeh its a little quite but thats life. I think once it starts to show a little more signs of what im heading towards it might pick up. There is still alot of work to do though. Tonight i have been working on tapering off the back so that its a sung fit to the frame work and looks better. I then need to get my self this touch screen which might not be for a few weeks yet. Then i can start work on that bit. I need to re cut the side window of the back peace as well as its a bit of a mess and all so cut out the door for the front. So there is lots of work to do before im any ware near close to finishing this off.

Need to order more parts as well for the system as i still haven't got the main PC parts . My lass is wanting a holiday this year so i have to save some money for her lol...

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
If I were making something out of wood I could hear it now. After looking at your pictures I could imagine my old-lady saying something like, "you're building that and still haven't put doors on the cabinets? Oh and look you left the dishes for me!" LoL

In all seriousness, looks cool so far =)

I am very much a sit down gamer not so certain I would use such a device, would be fun creating it though, which is what I enjoy doing the most. The scale is MUCH smaller but I'm currently doing a DIY water block and cooling system, the images are here in "General Homebuilt" and to be honest, I am not looking forward to finishing it because I would rather tinker with something.

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
hehe we did pay quite a bit of money out for the kitchen to be replaced. But and a big but the company that we payed cash to went bust and never fitted it. We found this out last month, we lost alot of money over it. Live and learn and just shrug you shoulder's and say "!!!! its only money !!!! cos what else can you do hehe.

My lass is very good to be honest and say's i can what i like in the kitchen but to stop doing it in her living room while she sleeps lol ......

To be real honest with the seats i have you can get some good long gaming sessions in on this once it has finished. Ive got the Hight just right for PC gaming as well as arcade gaming. If i made the arms removable i could do it so that you could play the games from a distance e.g on your couch for console gaming. Once you fit a massive tv the Cp doesn't really get in the way though to be real honist.

As your self though love to tinker and blow things up (according to my lass) all though to me its just experimenting :) .. if it goes bang then it could be a good thing as far as im concerned because next time i'll no not to do it again ...

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I hear ya, I messed up my current project pretty badly; it was completely MY fault. So I started over, redid everything more carefully, and now I am much more pleased with what I have so far.

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Been working a little more.

The CP has been Shrunk by 2.5" and the Frame arms have been cut by 2".

The Back peace has now got a False wall of 1.5" to allows cables to be hidden behind it. 1 Shelf inside has been added will do the second and third Hidden shelf for the electrics another time and loads of wood filler has been used again lol ...

Still loads of work to do but shes starting to take shape now.

DSCF3490.jpg

False wall

DSCF3492.jpg

Single shelf

DSCF3493.jpg

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
A bit more work done. The keyboard tray has been made and installed. Cannot fit a side draw for the console pas as there is just not enough room which is just a shame. Started to smooth off the wood for the CP and spray painted the cp with a under count just to protect it for now. Pics below of the work on the cp so far.

DSCF3496.jpg

DSCF3495.jpg

DSCF3494.jpg

Still more work to do but until I get the rest of the parts I need for the CP this is the limit of work I can do for now….. Its now all down to when others can either deliver my parts or finish off the work that ive requested to be done ….

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I have been working on some easy to understand guides for some other users on how to install some different PCB's for Mame systems and Jamma Arcade systems. Thought id post them here in case some one may find a use for them. Ill add more as i make them ...

J-Pac Guide

microswitch1.png

2 Player I-Pac

ipac2top1.jpg

Pac Drive

pacdrive12v.jpg

Opti Pac Guide

optipac.jpg

mlwood_2008

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Time for a small Update.

Well i have put in the shelfs and allso been working on the Doors for the front.

Here you can see the work done on the front.

DSCF3507.jpg

DSCF3508.jpg

DSCF3509.jpg

I then did the door with White plastic Spay can undercoat as per OMDs build logs and then the surrounding frame with black plastic under coat. Once that had dried i used Grit 2000 wet and dry and sanded down . I then did a fine mist of white on the black and black on the white and again rubbed it down with 2000 Grit wet and dry. This revealed a fair few dimples and large deep air lines marks on the wood so i filled them and sanded it down again. I then re undercoated it all.

Iafter 24 hours in the airing cupboard and a pre warning to every one in the house to stay out i then pulled them out to find a grate big dent across one of the door (was i annoyed i think so) My kids had thrown in some plastic toys and damaged them ...

So again after filling and redoing the under coat and another 24 hours i then used Gloss white car spay paint on the doors and Matt black on the frame work. And again after sanding down with 2000 Grit wet and dry and re doing it all again a few times i then left them 24 hours to harden ad dry but this time i fitted a lock on the airing cupboard to stop any mishaps lol ....
#
Once the 24 hours was up i then re sanded them down with 2000 grit wet and dry and applied several coats of clear Lacquer and left them for 8 hours and then wet and dried and re lacquered them. Once that was done and dryed after 24 hours i then fitted the locks.

I still need to polish them but ill do that laster on. Pics below ...

DSCF3514.jpg

DSCF3517.jpg

DSCF3521-1.jpg