Directv vs Dish

I'm getting fed up with my cable company and I'm thinking about going
to a dish.
What's the general consensus out there? I keep seeing the cable
commercials saying I'm going to have lots of outtages yet there are
far more choices on the dish offerings.

So I'm looking for advice from those who have a dish on if you're
happy with a dish vs cable and then which you prefer (Directv vs.
Dish). From what I can see online I'm seeing what seems to be a
better offer from Directv vs Dish but I'd like to hear from people who
have them.

Thanks
Chris
12 answers Last reply
More about directv dish
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Chris,
    A properly aimed dish will only have an brief outage in the heavier
    rain. Of course this year there have been quite a few outages with all
    the rain.

    Directtv for sports, Dish Network for everything else.

    Mike

    > I'm getting fed up with my cable company and I'm thinking about going
    > to a dish.
    > What's the general consensus out there? I keep seeing the cable
    > commercials saying I'm going to have lots of outtages yet there are
    > far more choices on the dish offerings.
    >
    > So I'm looking for advice from those who have a dish on if you're
    > happy with a dish vs cable and then which you prefer (Directv vs.
    > Dish). From what I can see online I'm seeing what seems to be a
    > better offer from Directv vs Dish but I'd like to hear from people who
    > have them.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris
  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    ....and C/Ku-Band (big dish) for FIRST RUN wildfeeds.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    I still have cable (basic) and I've had Dish Network but switched to
    DirecTV. First & foremost, which one will get you your local stations?
    After that, which one has the programming that you like? Finally, look at
    price. For me, DirecTV has my locals, it is cheaper, plus I have 2 TiVos.
    When I had Dish, I had one 501 PVR and in my opinion, the DTiVos are as far
    ahead of the 501 as the 501 was ahead of a VCR. Regardless of which you
    choose, get at least one PVR (whether it is a DTiVo or a Dish 510 or 522)
    and you will never regret it. For the few times I've had outages from
    weather, I've just watched something else that was recorded instead -
    there's always something else to watch with a PVR!

    Don't base your decision on what somebody "hears" is coming soon, whether it
    be can't miss programming or nifty new equipment. When I first choose Dish
    Network, the retailer confided that my locals were coming in about 6 months.
    5 years later and still no locals. I waited 2 years for Dish to release the
    522 after they announced it. I understand that you still can't get one if
    you are an existing customer. And I'm not knocking Dish as much as myself
    for basing my decision on "what's coming soon!"

    "Chris Coonce-Ewing" <chris@coonce-ewing.com> wrote in message
    > I'm getting fed up with my cable company and I'm thinking about going
    > to a dish.
    > What's the general consensus out there? I keep seeing the cable
    > commercials saying I'm going to have lots of outtages yet there are
    > far more choices on the dish offerings.
    >
    > So I'm looking for advice from those who have a dish on if you're
    > happy with a dish vs cable and then which you prefer (Directv vs.
    > Dish). From what I can see online I'm seeing what seems to be a
    > better offer from Directv vs Dish but I'd like to hear from people who
    > have them.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris

    ---
  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Bryan wrote:

    > I still have cable (basic) and I've had Dish Network but switched to
    > DirecTV. First & foremost, which one will get you your local stations?

    CABLE!
    Or at least an outside aerial.

    Satellite can NOT give me "My" local stations, as it's against the law
    for them to do so, let alone provide any form of decent Internet access!

    Satellite is for entertainment only!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    KF/AKA AH#49 wrote:
    ----"Satellite is for entertainment only."----

    Reply:
    Huh? I do not understand your 'distinction' here.Is not TV in general
    "for entertainment" whether it is over-the-air,satellite or cable?
    You have some kind of utilitarian work related purpose in mind for cable
    TV that differs from satellite? I don't;and by the way,I get ALL of my
    local channels via satellite.I do realize that not everyone can get them
    this way and cable IS more universal......
  6. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    On 4 Jul 2004 05:44:58 -0700, chris@coonce-ewing.com (Chris
    Coonce-Ewing) wrote:

    >I'm getting fed up with my cable company and I'm thinking about going
    >to a dish.
    >What's the general consensus out there? I keep seeing the cable
    >commercials saying I'm going to have lots of outtages yet there are
    >far more choices on the dish offerings.

    The cable companies say that when you have storms in the area you will
    lose signal. True, but what they neglect to tell you is that when
    they have storms in the area of their satellite receivers they lose
    signal, too! Since it is likely not in the same area as you, you fail
    to connect the reason for the outages, but if you watch the weather
    patterns, it is obvious.
    respond here or email responses to cruzincat"deletethis"@cruzincat.com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    SAC 441 wrote:

    > KF/AKA AH#49 wrote:
    > ----"Satellite is for entertainment only."----
    >
    > Reply:
    > Huh? I do not understand your 'distinction' here.Is not TV in general
    > "for entertainment" whether it is over-the-air,satellite or cable?

    Well of course, in general, but then again a TV can also be a useful
    tool when it gets and televises something useful about what's happening
    in a very small town, like on those winter days we get here, that let
    us know if schools are going to be open or closed.

    Those channels and that kind of information from the small is either
    not available or can not be broadcast on Sat.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "Bryan" <bryan@NoSpamcamus.com> wrote in

    > Don't base your decision on what somebody "hears" is coming soon,
    > whether it be can't miss programming or nifty new equipment. When I
    > first choose Dish Network, the retailer confided that my locals were
    > coming in about 6 months. 5 years later and still no locals. I waited
    > 2 years for Dish to release the 522 after they announced it. I
    > understand that you still can't get one if you are an existing
    > customer. And I'm not knocking Dish as much as myself for basing my
    > decision on "what's coming soon!"

    We were told with Dish, locals were available, as well as DVRs. We
    scheduled installation of locals, but could not schedule DVR install later,
    since we had an open order. Well, turns out they had NO DVRs anywhere, and
    install of the dish for locals was posponed twice.

    We told Dish to go to hell and Subscribed to Directv..... we had locals and
    a DVR in a week.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Go Big Dish. Cheaper by far and lots more to choose from, some even free.
    Nothing free from dish or direct

    "Chris Coonce-Ewing" <chris@coonce-ewing.com> wrote in message
    > I'm getting fed up with my cable company and I'm thinking about going
    > to a dish.
    > What's the general consensus out there? I keep seeing the cable
    > commercials saying I'm going to have lots of outtages yet there are
    > far more choices on the dish offerings.
    >
    > So I'm looking for advice from those who have a dish on if you're
    > happy with a dish vs cable and then which you prefer (Directv vs.
    > Dish). From what I can see online I'm seeing what seems to be a
    > better offer from Directv vs Dish but I'd like to hear from people who
    > have them.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris
  10. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    I am a soon to be sat user myself. Perhaps some of you more experienced sat
    viewers can provide some advice or point me in the direction of some good
    websites.

    2 areas that interest me especially are hi-def TV & European live classical
    music radio broadcasts.

    I was reading another post about local stations being or not being available
    on various sats. In Houston, they all seem to be available if I understand
    these things correctly. However, I'm interested in going hi-def. From my
    recent exploration of the subject, it seems that the big 3 sat providers all
    acquire local hi-def stations from an antenna and not from the satellite
    itself. Am I understanding this correctly? I s there a way to get the local
    hi-defs without resorting to an antenna on the roof?

    I also see advice to go big dish, C or Ku band. How would I get started with
    this? Any good installers in Houston? Any good web sites or FAQs that can
    simplify the education?

    Joe Salerno
  11. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Continuing my previous post - I forgot to ask about recording hi-def
    broadcasts TO TAPE, not to a hard drive, is this possible at this time? It
    looks like there are no receivers with bi-directional 1394 ports to out to a
    D-VHS recorder.

    Is there another way to do it, with the component channels, perhaps?

    --
    Joe Salerno
    Video Works! Is it working for you?
    "joe at salerno dot com" <captaincapstan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I am a soon to be sat user myself. Perhaps some of you more experienced
    sat
    > viewers can provide some advice or point me in the direction of some good
    > websites.
    >
    > 2 areas that interest me especially are hi-def TV & European live
    classical
    > music radio broadcasts.
    >
    > I was reading another post about local stations being or not being
    available
    > on various sats. In Houston, they all seem to be available if I understand
    > these things correctly. However, I'm interested in going hi-def. From my
    > recent exploration of the subject, it seems that the big 3 sat providers
    all
    > acquire local hi-def stations from an antenna and not from the satellite
    > itself. Am I understanding this correctly? I s there a way to get the
    local
    > hi-defs without resorting to an antenna on the roof?
    >
    > I also see advice to go big dish, C or Ku band. How would I get started
    with
    > this? Any good installers in Houston? Any good web sites or FAQs that can
    > simplify the education?
    >
    > Joe Salerno

  12. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    I am not aware of any firewire ports on the dish recievers at this time.
    I do know for a fact that Dish will be offering HD flat screen monitors in
    the near future.

    > Continuing my previous post - I forgot to ask about recording hi-def
    > broadcasts TO TAPE, not to a hard drive, is this possible at this time? It
    > looks like there are no receivers with bi-directional 1394 ports to out to
    > D-VHS recorder.
    >
    > Is there another way to do it, with the component channels, perhaps?
    >
    > --
    > Joe Salerno
    > Video Works! Is it working for you?
    > PO Box 273405 - Houston TX 77277-3405
    > http://joe.salerno.com
    > "joe at salerno dot com" <captaincapstan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I am a soon to be sat user myself. Perhaps some of you more experienced
    > sat
    > > viewers can provide some advice or point me in the direction of some
    good
    > > websites.
    > >
    > > 2 areas that interest me especially are hi-def TV & European live
    > classical
    > > music radio broadcasts.
    > >
    > > I was reading another post about local stations being or not being
    > available
    > > on various sats. In Houston, they all seem to be available if I
    understand
    > > these things correctly. However, I'm interested in going hi-def. From my
    > > recent exploration of the subject, it seems that the big 3 sat providers
    > all
    > > acquire local hi-def stations from an antenna and not from the satellite
    > > itself. Am I understanding this correctly? I s there a way to get the
    > local
    > > hi-defs without resorting to an antenna on the roof?
    > >
    > > I also see advice to go big dish, C or Ku band. How would I get started
    > with
    > > this? Any good installers in Houston? Any good web sites or FAQs that
    can
    > > simplify the education?
    > >
    > > Joe Salerno

Satellite TV Cable Home Theatre