Disabled dual core technology in bios, no more lockups

JDG1990

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
What will happen if I keep the dual core technology "off". This is the only way I can get the computer to not lock up. I've tried every fix I could come up with between, ram, drivers, graphics card, fans, overheating, etc...

When dual core is enabled, within minutes of starting the computer it will lock up. There is no specific program related to lockups. I have even used msconfig with no luck, still locks up. I have to do a hard reboot.

My system is:
Dell Dimension Dm061
Intel core 2 CPU 6300
1.8ghz 2gb ram.

Windows XP Media center edition
Service pack 3(?)

BTW, since I got this computer new 2 years ago, system prop. showed the ram as 512mb. After I have pulled out and switched and plugged back in etc.... it now shows 2gb of ram. Which I always thought it had 512, I was shocked to find out 2gb.

Thanks in advance for any help.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Well. If you only got 512 of ram in the machine then thats the amount of ram you got. You do not have 2GB if you actually only physically have 512 in the machine.

As far as this dual core tech off. I have not been inside a dell bios in ages so i have no idea what it actually is. If that feature is off is there still 2 cores showing in task manager/device manager.

Bottom line if your machine is somehow reporting you got 2gb of ram when you actually have 512, sounds like time for a fresh install of windows.

JDG1990

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi,

Actually, the ram is 1gb each. I had not previously been inside the computer, so when I saw the 512mb, I thought it was what it was. Since I've had this lock up problem, I have learned that I actually have 2gb. I'm guessing that when I pulled the ram out and put it back in, windows registered all of it.

Bios has the feature to turn the dual core technology "off". When it is off, there is only one window showing in task manager. When it is "on" two windows show up.

In bios, the disable feature is located in the performance category. The computer does run a bit slower, but not bad. I just don't know where to go from here. If leaving the dual core tech. off is okay, or if this means that the other core will go bad and I will need a new processor?

Not too computer literate when it comes to this stuff. :)

Thanks for the quick reply.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Has it always locked up or did this just recently start? If it just started, Im with someguy and recomend you reinstall Windows. Although Im not a fan of OEM crapware images, it sounds like you would probably be best off restoring the original Dell installation.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
If this problem has just started recently, I would think it might be related to the second core going bad.

If when you Disable "dual core tech" task manager is showing the load for only one core AND you say it runs a little slower, I would suspect your disabling the second core.

If it runs perfectly stable for an extended period of time with one core active, I think the second core is acting up or damaged.

It could be the chip is finally showing a defect after all this time. Or it could be a heat issue. If its a heat issue, you could remove the Heatsink, clean and reapply fresh thermal grease / compound "TIM" and make sure the heatsink fins are cleaned of dust buildup.

If that doesn't help, your Dell might be still under warranty, give them a call. That CPU might need to be replaced.

Could just be some corrupted windows files messing with the CPU thread scheduling. I say re-install windows. If it won't do that and it won't boot properly with a Linux live CD with both cores enabled, then yeah the second core could just be toast. It's rare, but it happens. It's more likely to happen in systems that build up dust and have inadequate cooling.

JDG1990

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi,

The lock ups just started about two weeks ago. I can run the computer in safe mode with dual core tech enabled and everything works fine, no lock ups. The lock ups only happen in normal mode.

Event log shows no errors. Windows doesn't pop up any errors either.

I will try the linux cd, and possibly the reinstall.

I have also run msconfig and disabled all startup except for microsoft stuff, it took awhile longer, but everything still locked on me.

I appreciate the input, I've been struggling with this for two weeks, and have followed a lot of advice from these forums. I'll try the linux cd after work tomorrow.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
After reading your additional info after my last post.... If it works in Safe Mode with both cores active.... I too would agree with the others that it is probably software related.

As others suggested, try a Linux live CD, as it allows you run the full Linux OS Without having to install it on your hard drive. It just runs in memory.

If Linux works normally, something in Windows is messed up. So try a re-installation.