Sign in with
Your question

Ram failing ?

Last response: in Memory
June 8, 2009 4:23:38 AM

Well lately i have been getting some game crash relating to memory and i have been watching it closely and it sits at 3gb used and about 1 gig free at desktop after i ran a game and let it sit for a while.

i am using a 4gb 2x2gb 800mhz g skill ram and was curious if changing out to 4gb 1200mhz ram would improve my situation ?

Motherboard: XFX 780i
Processor: E8400
Ram: G skill 4gb 800mhz
Video cards: 2X 8800gt in sli

was looking at getting this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : ram failing

June 8, 2009 4:32:05 AM

Quote:
First off, your crashes has absolutely nothing to do with RAM speed.

What kind of crash is it? Does it crash back to desktop? BSOD then restart? Or random reboot?

crashing back to desktop then popping up a error talking about memory.

as for ram speed i was asking if i was to replace my ram would that be good replacement ?
June 8, 2009 4:36:47 AM

Here's a small check list you can do:
-Flash to latest BIOS for your particular motherboard
-Go into BIOS and change speed + timing to 400Mhz (800DDR) 4-5-4-12 2T
-Increase RAM voltage (vDIMM) to 2.1V
-Update nForce and Forceware (185.56 is the latest) driver

Incorrect RAM setting or driver issue is the most likely cause I can see when crashing back to desktop.
Also have a household fan directly blasting into the case to eliminate cooling as potential cause when carrying out the list above.
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 8, 2009 4:41:20 AM

What's the name of the game, please.

I'm wondering if it happens to be an MMO.
June 8, 2009 4:52:08 AM

well it is already running latest nforces drivers. and its also running latest bios. i also just changed my timings from 4-4-4-12 2T to your 4-5-4 2T and up the voltage from 2.0V to 2.1V. seems to be taking a lil longer to boot up now oddly. i will be posting a update in a lil bit after i see if it fixes my problem though.

the game was world in conflict

as for cooling i have a 120mm in at the bottom of the case one 120mm out the back of the case then a 160mm in on the side of the case then a high output 80mm out the side of the case and another 92mm out the back of the case between the video cards in a air conditioned room at 70 F

also will there be much of a performance increase if i got that faster ram ?
a b } Memory
June 8, 2009 8:12:03 AM

jeff1304 said:

also will there be much of a performance increase if i got that faster ram ?

No.

June 8, 2009 6:30:37 PM

Check your memory for errors with memtest86+.
June 8, 2009 6:41:51 PM

What .exe is causing the memory error?
June 8, 2009 8:26:59 PM

guys, if it looks like a mem problem, before doing anything else:

MEMTEST86+!!!

Seriously, never flash the BIOS until every other option has been attempted. Same with timings, etc. Test the easy things first, then go from there.
June 9, 2009 9:38:53 AM

check that your BIOS is set on par with the memory specs (voltage, timings etc)

run memtest if it gets errors, try to find out if one of the sticks maybe faulty (rules out mobo) on that than get new mem for it.

Do you run 64bit vista? I had problems with 32 bit on crossfire and 4Gb, also crashing and stuff due to lack of mem
a c 109 } Memory
June 9, 2009 5:58:30 PM

To repeat, run memtest86+ to check out the ram.
There should be NO errors for a full pass.
If you get an error, run it for each stick individually to identify the bad stick.
You may have to run a good stick in different slots to check the possibility of a bad mobo ram slot.

As to better performance withfaster ram, no you will not be able to notice any difference in fps or application speed with faster ram or better timings.
June 9, 2009 8:33:36 PM

I still find it odd why people try to replace the BIOS before a memtest run...test the easy things FIRST.
June 15, 2009 11:12:50 PM

yes i am running vista 64 bit and no it not at stock voltage at stock voltage my system becomes very unstable but kinda works. and will memtest86+ still work with 64bit os ?
a c 109 } Memory
June 16, 2009 12:36:12 AM

jeff1304 said:
yes i am running vista 64 bit and no it not at stock voltage at stock voltage my system becomes very unstable but kinda works. and will memtest86+ still work with 64bit os ?

Memtest86+ is a stand alone program that does not require an OS.
Download it to a floppy or burn it to a cd.
!