HELP with motherboard/perhaps cpu!?!?!

ratzer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I got an ECS K8M800-M2 micro motherboard in my computer that had an AMD Sempron 2800+ 754pin processor and a 512mb 184pin memory stick. I recently bought 2- 1gb 184pin memory sticks and an AMD Athlon64 3000+ to upgrade just a little bit. No trouble what so ever replacing everything, was all ready to go and when I turned the computer on, nothing. So I checked to see if everything was seated properly and whatnot. Everything checked out OK. Turned the computer on again and nothing. The HSF and power supply fans both ran, my 2 disc drives ran. The power light came on, but no noises, flashes, or anything. The flashing light on the front next to the power light (I forget what its called, flashes when your working around, loading programs, etc...) didn't come on what so ever. So I put the old processor and memory back in... NOTHING!! Just tried replacing the battery, that wasn't the trick. So question is... do I have a dead motherboard now or did I happen to crap out both processors? I unplugged EVERYTHING before hand, so I'm hoping plugging everything back in didn't do harm to anything. Any and all help/advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
If possible tear everything out and do a rebuild. Problem like this normally takes a long time to troubleshoot and there's way too many things to check. By doing a rebuild you're checking everything along the way as you go.
If that still doesn't work try operating the motherboard, CPU, RAM, gfx card and HDD out of the case on something like a wooden desk.

Also what about simple things like plugging DVI/VGA cable in and making the LCD/monitor is powered?

ratzer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

I don't know exactly, but I believe the computer is in the 3-4yr range. So I would guess version 1.0 or 2.0?? But how would I run the update? Nothing shows up. Again, the hsf and power supply fans run, my cd/dvd drives run and the idle light I guess it would be doesn't come on. Only the power light is on.

ratzer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

Every time I went to go turn the computer on to see if I fixed it, I plugged all the basic stuff in just to see if it worked ie. keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers and power supply.