Something Died But not the RAM

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I had a power outage a while ago and when i turned my PC back on it wold not boot. I went into the BIOS reset the default settings and it booted. After that i rebooted and entered my overclock settings and it wouldnt boot. I tried a tiny overclock by about 2 mhz and it wouldnt boot (i got a long prolonged beeping noise). Only on default settings will it boot for some reason.

I checked the RAM and its not dead or damaged at all. I tried all the RAM slots an they are all fine. Im thinking either the motherboard or the processor somehow got damaged or something changed in it.

Can any help me find out the issue?

Specs:

Intel core 2 duo e6400 (was at 3.1 before power outage now its at stock 2.13)
Asus P5N-E SLI 650i
2 gig ddr2 g. skill
8800GTS g92

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
This is one of those tough situations. So many things could have gone wrong. If your PC will start under stock settings. I would bet its not your mobo or cpu though. More than likely its your PSU since during the overclocking boots it draws more power.

Do you have any spare parts to start testing? It's really a trial and error of replacing parts at this point. But start with the PSU test.

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Ok so basically what i did was go through and test all the major connections on m PSU and figured out that one of the 4 connectors was broke/ incorrectly placed so i switched them out and now the overclocks work again.

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
It was the motherboard that had went. I figured it was because i thoroughly tested the PSU and the processor still heated up when turned on so that was in use fine. I switched the 650i with a friend of mines 680i and and so far it is A LOT faster. Thanks for the help