Sign in with
Your question

AMD 435 overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
July 11, 2010 2:45:35 PM

Im working with an AMD Athlon II 435 and an MSI 760gm-e51 mobo. I cant seem to get this processor to be stable over 230 FSB on this board. I also have a MSI K9n6pgm2-v2 board that allows this processor to go to 245 FSB without issue, but this board will not allow the unlocking of the 4th core. The stability issues im facing are present with or without the 4th core being unlocked. The only real difference between the 2 setups is the 760 runs DDR3 while the other DDR2. The DDR3 is 1600, so when the FSB is at 240 the ram would be at 1600. Same applies with the DDR2, 800 achieved with a 240 FSB. The 760 setup is running a Corsair H50 cooler, while the other was running an OEM cooler. Im running an OCZ 850 watt power supply on both systems while testing so im sure power it not an issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

More about : amd 435 overclocking

a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 4:51:59 PM

Hello there,

Are you OC'n in BIOS or with MSIs "Overclocking Center"?

I would recommend OC'n in BIOS (as you already may be doing ) and make sure the OC switch is set to default.

Assuming you already have done that try taking smaller steps, ie; 10Mhz increase, til you reach your desired OC increasing Vc and other settings as needed to ensure stability.

MSI has a compatibility list for memory here thou they usually are not complete.

I'd also suggest reading your manual again just to make sure you did not over look something.

Might want to check MSI forum here to see if some one else had the same problem and it was solved.

Last but not least you just may have a combination that just will not work well together or have a defective M/BD.

Good luck to you.:) 
m
l
July 11, 2010 5:25:48 PM

This combo was a NewEgg deal a month or so ago and I have been waiting for my DD3 to come in this whole time so I havent had a chance til now to play with it. I checked some of the reviews and people are reporting up to 250 FSB stable with same mobo/CPU combo, maybe I just got a dud? Any Ideas on where to start with the Vcore on this thing?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 5:52:53 PM

Look in BIOS and check your "Hardware Monitor" or what ever it is called and see what Vc the M/BD defaults to at stock settings and on "Auto".

With each increase of your fsb you want to be able to boot into Windows and be stable. I use Prime 95 to check for stability. If you are not stable go up one setting on Vc and try again.

You should also check your "Temps" as you OC to make sure you do not get too hot.

You really should read those links I gave you as they could answer a lot of your questions.

Its not like I don't want to help you, its just we could go on like this for hours and you might never get a successful OC.:D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 7:13:26 PM

When you say not stable are you testing with prime95,occt etc. ? Or is it not OS stable ?

What 1600 memory did you get ? Have the correct timings and voltage been manually set according to specs ?

Your board having your vcore @1.425 is about right for what your trying to get. My board puts mine @ 1.392 at stock, which is what I run for a 24/7 @ 3.6. It will need more like 1.47-1.48 to get past prime. (I've had mine up to 1.581 @ 3.9 x4) If you have an H50 you'll be fine just watch your temps !! Max temp according to amd is 73c http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=... You should stop stressing if it get up over 62c.

You might try just working with it as an x3 'til you get to where you want to be, then unlock it again..

If your memory is set to specs, try 250x14.5 and see if your memory can do the 1667. (or what ever it is @250) HT @2000,NB @2250 (or auto, as long as it's equal to or greater than HT) vcore @ 1.45 (some chips seem to take more than others to get stable clocks.)

Watch your temps!
m
l
July 11, 2010 10:21:15 PM

I have manually set the voltages and timings for the memory in the bios and the system is completely Prime 95 stable (4hr) with the 4th core unlocked and running FSB:RAM 1:4 (1600 RAM).

When I start to raise the FSB over 230, increasing voltage as well, (changing the RAM ratio to 1:3.33), the system will randomly BSOD, lock up, or just reboot without cause. I have yet to see temps exceed 53*C so, again, I dont believe this is a temperature issue.

Attempting to boot the machine at any FSB over 240 results in 4 beeps and no display. Also 1.425 is the highest selectable voltage in the BIOS

Heres the CPU-Z link to the system as Im running it stable now:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1290676
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 10:41:32 PM

Actually I think that is a nice overclock on a 760G motherboard.
Have you checked the voltages for the northbridge and HT? Cause the reference clock is bumping those up as well...
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 10:46:09 PM

2 things to try, 1st try lowering the memory speed as low as you can just to see if its what holding you back. 2nd try removing the 3rd stick I don't know if its true but I have heard some boards don't like more than 2 sticks. Hope this helps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 10:51:26 PM

simon12 said:
2 things to try, 1st try lowering the memory speed as low as you can just to see if its what holding you back. 2nd try removing the 3rd stick I don't know if its true but I have heard some boards don't like more than 2 sticks. Hope this helps.

^ +1
m
l
July 12, 2010 12:35:26 AM

I dont think the memory ius the issue as its rated at 1600 and I can run it at 1600 with stock FSB.

What should the HT and the NB voltages be? There is nothing at all in the bios to indicate what they are standard and no monitoring program seems to want to show those.

Also it looks like Im one version out on the bios, so im going to update that, however the update only shows to add support for the 6 core processors, so not hopeful that the update will clear this up.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 2:01:44 AM

If your using three sticks of memory your only getting single channel performance. Pop one stick and run two. MSI says to use slots 1 & 2.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 10:26:41 AM

btld_ls1 said:
I dont think the memory ius the issue as its rated at 1600 and I can run it at 1600 with stock FSB.

What should the HT and the NB voltages be? There is nothing at all in the bios to indicate what they are standard and no monitoring program seems to want to show those.

Also it looks like Im one version out on the bios, so im going to update that, however the update only shows to add support for the 6 core processors, so not hopeful that the update will clear this up.

Even if you don't think the memory is the issue give it a try I have found the memory runs fine at its stock setting (1333) but I can still overclock higher with it set lower
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2010 12:32:52 PM

btld_ls1 said:

......Attempting to boot the machine at any FSB over 240 results in 4 beeps and no display....

What does your manual say on the 4 beep error code ? 4 short beeps or 1 long, 3 short ?
m
l
!