Overclocking Q6600 B3 Stepping issues

btld_ls1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I've had this process for a long time and was running it on a G33 Intel board, but I finally outgrew the board and moved to an EVGA 750i SLI board and am overclocking it for the first time. Im using 8GB Corsiar XMS 2 DDR800 set at 800 in the BIOS. Running EVGA GTX 275's in SLI with a 1000 watt PSU. Cooling is being handled by a Corsair H50 water cooler runnig a push pull setup on the radiator. When I increase the FSB to 400 and try to run anything over the base 6x multiplier the computer till not make it past Windows start-up. I have tried increasing all voltages in the bios, even going all the way up to 1.5 on the processor, but still cant seem to get it past the windows loading screen. I've found posts there people have gotten these up to 3.5 on water, but I cant even seem to get it to boot at 400x7 let alone some of the speeds these other people have achieved.

Any ideas?

PS: temps at 400x6 never pass 42*C on prime 95 test, so Im 99.9% sure its not a temp issue

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Hello there,

I may be wrong here but it sounds like you are trying to raise your fsb and multiplier. If so you can not raise the multiplier higher than the stock 6 setting.

Use only the fsb to OC.

I would also try to OC with only 4G of ram to start out. Once you have a OC you are satisfied with then add the other 4G. However you may find out that these Quads do not OC well with that much memory unless you loosen the timing up considerably.

Also try this link for more info on OC'n.

Good luck to you.:)

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Your right the stock mulitiplier is 9! Thats what I get for punching the number pad to quickly.:(

Have you tried to OC just using the 4G of ram yet?

btld_ls1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
no i havent, That might be my next step. Right now Its pretty stable at 356x9 3202, run prime 95 for 45 minutes no errors, Max temp on any core is hitting 45*C but I think I need to redo the thermal paste as I used the Corsair pre-applied instead of the Artic Silver.

Im also thinking maybe Im just way over volting the CPU and maybe I need to start the whole process over...

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I'm a big fan of AS5 myself and do not use anything but it. 45C is not bad for a load temp my friend.

If you can maintain stability after lowering your Vc then by all means do it. Your CPU will run cooler too.:)

Im also thinking maybe Im just way over volting the CPU and maybe I need to start the whole process over...

That's a tough call from where I am but not unheard of that's for sure. I have done the same thing myself.

Something that will affect your ability to OC is video drivers tend to get corrupt after several no boots. I had to go back to a good known OC and reinstall them just so I could continue with my OC session.