Can OCZ Reaper 2.1V memory run on 1.8V?

tilted

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hey - I posted this a few times, but haven't gotten a response yet. So here's another try with my own thread:

I recently bought two pairs of 2 x 2 DDR2-800 RAM (for 8 GB total). One pair is OCZ HPC Reaper, and the other is Patriot Viper. Both are rated at 800mhz, with 4-4-4 timings at 2.1V. However, after they arrived I discovered that my motherboard's voltage is only set at 1.8v, and since it's a OEM, there's no way to change the voltage in BIOS.

So, I've been having problems with crashes if I use the OCZ and Viper in all 4 slots, or if I just use the Vipers by themselves. So I've returned the Vipers. If I just use a pair of OCZ, my computer is stable, running the RAM at 800 mhz with 5-5-5 timings. If I use pair of OCZ with the 2x2 of my OLD 667 mhz RAM, then my computer is also stable while running at 667mhz with 5-5-5 timings - this is what I'm doing right now.

My question: does anyone know how stable the OCZ Reapers, or any other "gaming" RAM rated at 2.1 or 2.2V, will be if only given 1.8V? Do you think my computer would be stable if I bought another pair of the Reapers, for 4 x 2GB total, so that I could run memory at 800 mhz instead of my current 667?

I do a lot of video processing on a Vista 64, btw, which is why I want so much RAM. Thanks in advance!

Other info:
PC: FX4710 with upgraded PSU, otherwise at stock
CPU: Q9300
Motherboard: G33 chipset, OEM Foxconn, using locked Gateway bios
Memory in question: OCZ HPC Reaper CAS4 DDR2 6400:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_cl4_4gb_edition

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Honestly, why are you using a crappy MB with high performance RAM? That's like pairing a high performance graphics card with a crappy Celeron....

Stable can be a very tossed around word. You mean stable for word processing and internet surfing? Or rock solid stable enough to play hard core games for hours on end?

Usually, a MB will adjust appropriately to the slowest RAM speed/timings; in this case, to the 667 RAM speed/timings. You should be ok with the 1.8V version of the OCZ RAM when paired with the slower 667 RAM.

However, again, I refer to the Celeron/GPU pairing above because it seems like a waste to spend so much money on high performance RAM and not utilize the potential.

tilted

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Yea, I wouldn't have bought the high-speed OCZ Reapers had they not been the cheapest RAM out there after rebates ^^
(currently $30 after rebate, free shipping, from Newegg).

Right now, I'm already running 2x2GB of the 2.1V Reapers paired with my old 4GB of 667mhz RAM. My computer is running stable at 1.8V, 667mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings, and seems to run Fallout 3 fine. So to clarify, I'm wondering what I should do now to make the fastest possible stable system:

1) Buy 2 more sticks of matching 2.1V Reaper RAM [ http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_cl4_4gb_edition ]

2) Buy 2 more sticks of 1.8V Reaper RAM [ http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_hpc_4gb_edition ]

3) Something else (return what I have, buy 4 sticks of the 1.8V or another 1.8V RAM)?

4) Stay with what I have.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
One thing to note is that the rebates were there to get rid of the current inventory of this RAM. The G. Skill DDR2 800 PI RAM runs with 4-4-4-12 timings @ 1.8-1.9V; the OCZ RAM you bought is an old revision that could have been overclocked DDR667 RAM or something, which may actually be why it's running OK at the 5-5-5-15 timings at 1.8V.

I notice you didn't mention buying a new MB. May I inquire as to why not? (I presume the costs and extra work involved)

If the 2.1V OCZ Ram can run at 1.8V and reduced timings, you can choose that route. That seems like it is doable, but it would be best to ask OCZ if that specific RAM can run at those timings at that voltage.

Otherwise, not sure what to suggest - other than option 4, looks like you'll either have to buy and/or return some things....

tilted

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
PCKid,

Thanks for the tips - I'm posting on the OCZ forums for their suggestions.

I'm on a rather low budget, which is why I got this refurbished FX4710 in the first place for <$500, and have been trying to make minimal upgrades on it (installed new PSU, couple of fans, now more RAM). I would consider a motherboard upgrade, except that for some reason the Gateway came with a micro-ATX form motherboard, and I don't think a full ATX would fit. I'm on the lookout for an inexpensive, well-rated micro-ATX mobo that can run 8 GB RAM, but they seem to be hard to find.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005

I hear 'ya on finding good mATX boards; I spent about a half hour today looking for one myself because stupid Gigabyte engineers placed the SATA ports on my MB right where an oversized GPU will hide them.... All the boards I looked at had mediocre reviews...and are the latest chipset designs. Oh well....

In the computer world, expect to pay more than what you initially expect...lol. Good luck. Happy hunting.

tilted

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks man .. I actually didn't know much about computer hardware when I bought the Gateway in what I thought was a really good deal a few months ago. Since then, I've learned a whole lot from having to upgrade and tweak things on it, and ironically I now know enough to build the whole again, probably for less money total :heink:

I was looking at the DFI Lan Party JR P45 as the best micro-ATX board available for gaming .. only issue is that I'm not planning on using Crossfire so it'd be a bit of a waste. Unfortunately I haven't found any other "P" based micro-ATX boards, like P35/P45, and I really don't want an integrated graphics card cluttering up the board. Anyway, gluck to you too.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Actually, onboard GPU's are integrated into the chipset itself, so not a lot of additional space is required. My last few builds have been mATX with onboard video despite using PCI-E GPUs.

If you haven't already, post in the motherboard section of the forums or research Intel boards; I can't really suggest any here 'cause I've been building AMD setups... other than to use Newegg's "Advanced Search" feature with things you'd want in a board.