Sign in with
Your question

External HD vs. another internal HD

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2010 5:15:14 PM

Hi all,

I currently have a 500GB internal HD in my computer. Now, I usually just back up all my movies, games, music, pictures, etc. onto DVD's and then delete the big files (movies/games) off my computer to save space. I would like to have access to this data at all times since putting a DVD in my computer every time I want to access certain data is a pain sometimes.

Should I buy an external HD and have everything backed up on there? or should I just buy another internal HD (cheaper). I want the data to be accessible at all times.

thanks!

More about : external internal

a b G Storage
July 20, 2010 1:00:24 AM

If you plan on just backing things up, an external drive will do the job just fine. But as you mentioned, they can be a bit more expensive than a standard internal drive. If you have SATA ports to spare, your best bet would be to just go with an internal drive to save a few bucks. Either way, it really doesn't matter for your planned use.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 20, 2010 2:05:58 AM

External drives are best for backups because they can easily be disconnected and stored separately and that protects your backup from risks to the data in the system such as viruses, accidental deletions, theft of the system, etc.

You can buy a drive "dock" that connects to your computer via USB or Firewire, and then buy "bare" internal drives that plug into it. That minimizes the cost of using any additional external drives once you've invested in the dock.

For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 5:14:35 PM

oh that's cool, never heard of a dock.

I think I may just buy another internal drive and keep backing up all my files with DVD's, incase of a HD failure or something. The extra HD will be strictly for backup data, and I can access it whenever I need anything.

Now, the new question is do I just plug in the internal HD and then start putting data on it? Is it that simple, or do I have to configure it. I've heard about raid and my mother board supports it (ASUS PQ5 Pro).

OR Maybe I should just skip all the headaches and just buy an external, I just plug it in everytime I want to access data right? kind of like a usb stick? I'm just worried that playing a movie off the external HD and watching it on my computer will be terribly slow.
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:04:39 PM

Raid requires more than 1 disk and you will have to format the drive after installation. SATA and USB = no configuration (jump jacks)
m
l
!