Laughing_Man

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I just discovered something odd with my fans. While performing a cleaning of my computer innards to evict the dust bunnies I shut down the computer and removed the side panel and noticed my cpu hsf was spinning. After ensuring windows was indeed shut down and not in a low power state I saw that during shut down my case, power supply, and hs fans were all indeed spinning. The case and hs fans are conected to 3 pin headers on the motherboard and the power supply fan doesn't have an external connector. No matter how I shut down the fans keep spinning at a much lower speed than when powered up. Computer is running fine and my motherboard monitor says the fans are running at 2,500(case) and 5,000(hs) rpm when on. The only way to get them to stop is the power supply's rocker switch. Anyone have any ideas?

WinXP Pro
MSI-6378
AMD Athlon XP +2600 (Thoroughbred)
400 watt generic power supply

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Any keyboard lights on? If you press Caps Lock key, does the light on keyboard respond? If yes, is in Standby. If you remove mains plug from wall and they still run, it's worth a fortune!
Check BIOS power options, is set to power off, not Standby.

Mike.

Laughing_Man

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
No lights on keyboard. Didn't find the answer to the worlds power needs either. Stops when pulled from the plug. BIOS power settings are all set to disabled or ignore, I let windows handle the power settings.

Laughing_Man

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Everything unplugged but the mains, and the fans are on. I have heard of PSU's that do keep their fans spinning for a while after shut down, but mine stays on constantly.
Other than using a small bit of electricity and shortening the life span of my fans it may not be a problem, but I've never encountered this before. And was not sure where to start; MB, PSU, or maybe the on/off switch on the case.