My Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 is only running at 50%

Hey, Ive recently purchased a brand new Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 and when I played AOE3, My Nvidia Monitor says that i'm only using 50%. Ive had a look around and some people say its to do with hyper threading, but dont tell me what to do, your help is really appreciated.

System Specs:

- Abit IX48 GT3
- Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 GHz
- 2 GB Kingston DDR3 1333 Mhz
- WD 250 GB HDD 16 Mb
- Gigabyte 8600 GT 512 DDR2

Cheers,

Stefan
12 answers Last reply
More about intel core e7400 running
  1. If I'm not wrong, Age of Empires is not really demanding. I mean, it needs a 1.4 GHz single core, 256 MB of RAM and a 64MB video card. Test it with 3D Mark 06/Vantage and see what load you get.
  2. rags_20 said:
    If I'm not wrong, Age of Empires is not really demanding. I mean, it needs a 1.4 GHz single core, 256 MB of RAM and a 64MB video card. Test it with 3D Mark 06/Vantage and see what load you get.

What do you mean load? I cant get my 3D Mark score coz I can't currently get access to the internet (my wireless card wont install the drivers properly)

As you say I should be able to run AOE 3 max settings, but when I used the Nvidia monitor and turned on logging it said I only get a max of 50%
  3. I don't understand. 50% of what? Isn't it your CPU load?
  4. Try a more demanding game, AOE3 won't need to use all of your processor. Either do what rags said, use a benchmark program(3Dmark) or download a newer game demo and try it out.
  5. go into bios and apply default optimized settings then choose your preferences .. save, reboot
  6. Start prime 95 and watch you cpu go to 100%

Having it at 50% on a game is good, if it was 100% you would lag. If it went to 100% during game it would be a bottleneck.
  7. rags_20 said:
    I don't understand. 50% of what? Isn't it your CPU load?

Yeah it is, but the odd thing is it doesnt change it just sits at 50%, 51% 49% that general area, and in a game youd thing that some parks ate more CPU intensive than others, say when there is more AI or more processes stuff like that
  8. We're talking Age of Empires, not Crysis or something like that. Do as daship suggests.
  9. Does it really matter what CPU usage you're seeing as long as the game's running properly?
  10. That means it is single threaded - it is running one core at full load, but it doesn't support dual threads. It's normal.
  11. Play Crysis and see what happens. You should use about 90% or higher.
  12. It's at 50% because the game is single threaded and you have a dual core processor. Your only using 1 of your two cores, 1/2 is 50%
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel