Win2k Instablility!

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Hi guys, my problems as follows....

1) My cdex1.8 beta for converting mp3s & wavs doesn't like win2k one bit. As soon as i try and run the application my computer restarts like i have hit the reset button. Same thing happens with my old burning software.

2) I can't burn anything. Even with new software (Roxio CD Creator 5.01). I try disc at once, and the program tells me i don't have enough space to copy to my hard drive first. Bullshit, i have 16gig free. If i try burning data off of the hard drive, it sends back errors before i even start.

3) I installed music match juke box 6. First time i tried to run it...my cpu restarted like above. However the second time i tried it ran ok. I tried to use its burning features but it got stuck after the 2nd song.

Has anyone experienced these problems??
I have a SCSI burner...Sony. Its pretty old, approx 2-3 years with the cd caddy.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
check the HCL list. I doubt your burner is supported under w2k.
my friend's scsi sony 4x speed burner was not.

the good news is that you can get a 16x LG burner for only 153$ cdn!! :))

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I believe you have to have the only one burning software installed, they can't co-exist together.
The worst thing, for some sound and burning software their uninstall doesn't work. It looks like working, but check it out.
You can try uninstall, rebot the system, then run Registry Editor's "find" and see how much mess created by the previous installation and the traces from it are here and there still remained with valid values in all proprietary Windows multimedia tools keys and other related places.
It helped in many cases I know: carefully clean the registry up, and you'll see the result.
But, the CD burning is a delicate procedure, that's why I would rather recommend to clean reinstall Windows with the only one you favorite sound and burning program.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
They can co exist together. I used to use 3 different burning programs on my Win98 install. One for cloning CDs, one for music, and the other for data. They all worked fine. My problems on win2k started when i only had one burning program installed so i'm thinking multiple applications probably aren't the issue here.
The first application would restart win2k whenever i tried to load the app. The second one reports invalid statements, and the third chokes while burning. I'm leaning toward my burner not being compatible with win2k as the cause of these problems now.

Latest posts