Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Clicking drives, bad drives or drivers?

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2010 3:41:34 AM

I just built an i5 system last month and I am having some problems with a raid mirror set up. I have two samsung spinpoint 1 tb drives in the array. I forget the model but they are about 2 months old and were about 80-90$ a peice.

All is well untill I start accessing information. Then they start to making a clicking/thudding type of sound which happens durring and for a bit after I acess the info. Then the win 7 alert usually comes up the next time I start up which says "smart event" with a yellow triangle on one or both drives. I usually just press the reset to normal button and they are fine till I access stored data again.

What do you guys thing. RMA both drives or is it a driver issue. Thanks.
a b G Storage
July 20, 2010 2:13:57 PM

Can you see what the SMART event was?

I would be surprised if it was a driver issue. PROBABLY one drive is having issues, and needs to be returned. I'd consider running just 1 drive by itself for a while, see if it's good (and back up important stuff frequently). If it runs OK, try the other independently, and see what happens.
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
July 20, 2010 4:51:25 PM

A 'clicking' sound is almost always a signal for impending drive failure. Back-up the drive(s) and then do CHKDSK and also a SMART check.

If it is impending drive failure, address this issue immediately (I had the same issue with my laptop hard disk)
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2010 1:21:29 AM

gtvr said:
Can you see what the SMART event was?

I would be surprised if it was a driver issue. PROBABLY one drive is having issues, and needs to be returned. I'd consider running just 1 drive by itself for a while, see if it's good (and back up important stuff frequently). If it runs OK, try the other independently, and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. The only thing I can find on the event is that the data may be at risk.

I felt in there one time it was making the clicking noise and it felt like both drives were making it. I will try to remove one and see if the remaining one makes the sounds etc. thanks
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:23:19 AM

Thanks for the info. That sucks that a 2 month old drive with great reviews is having problems already. We will see.
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:44:07 AM

OK, I just played with the drives a bit and unplugged the one that usually gets the warning sign, and the thudding sound started in with the other one. So I guess they both have problems.
any other thoughts?
thanks
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
July 21, 2010 2:22:45 AM

Sounds like they are both from the same batch; in which case you should contact the manufacturer for warranty service.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 21, 2010 2:00:07 PM

Drives can have great reviews, and be generally very reliable, but there is some failure rate. Even if it's .001%, they sell hundreds of thousands or millions of drives, so that happens.

Plus, maybe your UPS driver went over some big bumps, or the handler dropped it hard after a long night drinking.
July 22, 2010 5:53:36 AM

It looks like you guys are right about getting a bad batch or a drunk ups guy. Probably the latter. I will set up an rma this week on them. Thanks so much. You guys on toms hardware are the best on the net. Thanks, Jeremy
m
l
July 22, 2010 5:54:35 AM

Best answer selected by jtoth77.
m
l
!