Solved

Clicking drives, bad drives or drivers?

I just built an i5 system last month and I am having some problems with a raid mirror set up. I have two samsung spinpoint 1 tb drives in the array. I forget the model but they are about 2 months old and were about 80-90$ a peice.

All is well untill I start accessing information. Then they start to making a clicking/thudding type of sound which happens durring and for a bit after I acess the info. Then the win 7 alert usually comes up the next time I start up which says "smart event" with a yellow triangle on one or both drives. I usually just press the reset to normal button and they are fine till I access stored data again.

What do you guys thing. RMA both drives or is it a driver issue. Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about clicking drives drives drivers
  1. Can you see what the SMART event was?

I would be surprised if it was a driver issue. PROBABLY one drive is having issues, and needs to be returned. I'd consider running just 1 drive by itself for a while, see if it's good (and back up important stuff frequently). If it runs OK, try the other independently, and see what happens.
  2. A 'clicking' sound is almost always a signal for impending drive failure. Back-up the drive(s) and then do CHKDSK and also a SMART check.

If it is impending drive failure, address this issue immediately (I had the same issue with my laptop hard disk)
  3. gtvr said:
    Can you see what the SMART event was?

I would be surprised if it was a driver issue. PROBABLY one drive is having issues, and needs to be returned. I'd consider running just 1 drive by itself for a while, see if it's good (and back up important stuff frequently). If it runs OK, try the other independently, and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. The only thing I can find on the event is that the data may be at risk.

I felt in there one time it was making the clicking noise and it felt like both drives were making it. I will try to remove one and see if the remaining one makes the sounds etc. thanks
  4. Thanks for the info. That sucks that a 2 month old drive with great reviews is having problems already. We will see.
  5. OK, I just played with the drives a bit and unplugged the one that usually gets the warning sign, and the thudding sound started in with the other one. So I guess they both have problems.
    any other thoughts?
    thanks
  6. Sounds like they are both from the same batch; in which case you should contact the manufacturer for warranty service.
  7. Best answer
    Drives can have great reviews, and be generally very reliable, but there is some failure rate. Even if it's .001%, they sell hundreds of thousands or millions of drives, so that happens.

Plus, maybe your UPS driver went over some big bumps, or the handler dropped it hard after a long night drinking.
  8. It looks like you guys are right about getting a bad batch or a drunk ups guy. Probably the latter. I will set up an rma this week on them. Thanks so much. You guys on toms hardware are the best on the net. Thanks, Jeremy
  9. Best answer selected by jtoth77.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Drivers Storage