Sign in with
Your question

Dont know if my system is recognizing all of my ram

Last response: in Memory
June 8, 2009 11:22:20 PM

i remember reading something a while ago about somebody's vista telling them they had 6 gigs of ram installed when they would right click computer>properties>system, yet somewhere else it only said they had less than specified by vista. i was browsing through my system last night, was extremely bored, and i came across something in the control panel. i took a screenshot of my "system information" and saw that it says i only have 2.00 gigs of physical memory. then task manager and my right lick computer>properties>system shows i have 6 gigs of ram. so now im confused, and im thinking it might be that the "system information" is showing my graphics card ram since i have a gtx285?

system information: http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/twisted_politik...
any help would be great.
June 9, 2009 1:49:51 AM

do yolu have 64bit of vista
June 9, 2009 2:07:04 AM

never mind i saw you config
zoom into the screen shot i cant see it so i can tell you if your reading the correct place
Related resources
June 9, 2009 2:38:36 AM

What does Task Manager say under Performance tab?

(I can see that you're using Vista x64)
June 9, 2009 8:09:22 AM

weird, why would system manager report something wrong?
a b } Memory
June 9, 2009 8:44:43 AM

No idea, but it's definitely wrong. The best place to check is in Task Manager - the total physical memory value is the amount the system will actually use.
June 9, 2009 2:28:18 PM

I had the same problem on my new pc. The solution to the problem was reseating the RAM in the correct colored slots. It was my fault for not reading the section of the mobo mannual regarding the correct placement of ram.

What type of motherboard do you have?

With a 6GB kit - DDR3 - Tri Chan, the RAM should be in DIMM A1, B1, C1 (colored slots). I was foolish enough to place it in the slots closest to the CPU.
June 9, 2009 5:26:33 PM

i have a gigabyte ex58 ud4p and i made sure to read the manual and put them in the correct slots. im at work atm but when i get home i will check again just to make sure. thanks nickhoff
June 9, 2009 8:56:52 PM

twisted politiks said:
i have a gigabyte ex58 ud4p and i made sure to read the manual and put them in the correct slots. im at work atm but when i get home i will check again just to make sure. thanks nickhoff

well yor sys config shows u have a total of 6gb but your using 4gb i dont know for what so thats why it says 2gb avaliable,if what nickoff said wont work reinstall windows
June 9, 2009 10:39:55 PM

jony said:
well yor sys config shows u have a total of 6gb but your using 4gb i dont know for what so thats why it says 2gb avaliable,if what nickoff said wont work reinstall windows

Addressable memory (memory utlisation) and triple-channel configuration is two independent things and not related.
i.e. you can have 6GB, but not necessary triple-channel.

Reinstalling same version of Windows will not help with addressable memory.
The question at hand has been answered and is simply a matter of incorrect reporting by 'System Information' which does not affect actual operation.
June 10, 2009 4:33:43 AM

Do you have a fully updated Vista (they fixed just such a bug a while back)?
June 10, 2009 4:52:53 AM

so i checked again today after installing SP2 and it says i have 6.00 gigs of RAM. i had also had a few minor updates installed b4 installing SP2 so that was probably it. thanks for the heads up mikrev007, probably wouldnt have looked for a long time had it not been you.
!